Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of January 26, 2014

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 26, 2014
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of January 26, 2014

      **********

      The 2014 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary is available for immediate shipment.  Order yours today at http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCal_13_14.html

      Please check out two new things on our Web site:  Our new line of note cards, http://www.chirhopress.com/products/Fontaine_cards_pick_list.html and our newest book, "A More Excellent Way," by EXCEL Retreat Ministries, at http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevAMoreExcellent%20Way.htm .

      **********

      As one of the on-going ministries of Chi Rho Press, here is a selection from our book of daily devotions, "Living as the Beloved: One Day at a Time," by the Rev. Dr. Sandra Bochonok.

      Please read the Scripture passage and Dr. Bochonok's meditation.  We hope you will be blessed.  Thank you for forwarding this to your friends.

      Chosen by Christ for extraordinary living

      "You did not choose me but I chose you.  And I appointed you to go and bear fruit, fruit that will last, so that the Creator will give you whatever you ask God in my name."
      John 15:16a

      God loves to use ordinary people in extraordinary ways.  The remainder of that verse reads, "And I appointed you to go and bear fruit, fruit that will last."  We are called by a power higher than ourselves.  God calls us to a purposeful life.

      Years ago Mother Teresa was questioned in an interview about her own response to God's call to live a meaningful life.  The interviewer was blunt and to the point, asking, "Mother Teresa, you are surrounded by so much poverty and need.  Do you ever get discouraged?  Do you ever feel like a drop of water in the ocean of human need?" (Muggeridge, Malcolm.  "Something Beautiful for God," p. 119.

      Her answer encouraged me and brought divine perspective.  Her response was simple, "Yes, I am like a drop in the ocean, but if my drop were missing, it would be greatly missed."

      We exist to make a difference in the world.  If we were not here, we would be missed.  The world needs what Jesus Christ has called and appointed us to offer.  Realistically, most of us are not going to serve as Mother Teresa did in India.  But we can live faithfully where we are.

      Extraordinary living begins with simple acts of kindness and beauty where we live, work, play, rest, worship, and interact with others.

      A total stranger recently commented to me in a parking lot, "I like your bumper sticker!"  The bumper sticker invites us to commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.  I thanked her, but said I thought it should read differently.  Why not "commit intentional acts of kindness and purposeful acts of beauty?"  This is extraordinary living everyone can offer.  Simple acts of kindness and beauty can transform lives, bring hope, and empower friends, family members, and total strangers in moments of great need.  God will use us in the simplest ways.  We too, are like drops of water in the great ocean of life.  We can make a difference, as did Mother Teresa.  If we do not act in our moments of opportunity, our contributions will be greatly missed.

      If your inner being prompts you to pause, smile, act kindly, and offer a moment of beauty through your hands, act on your impulse.  It could be a divine appointment Jesus Christ has chosen you to perform.  The ripple effects of your obedience will be a blessing to someone, somewhere, somehow, in some way.

      God, empower us to make a difference in our world.  Amen.

      Please visit the Chi Rho Press Web site.  You can order using our convenient secure shopping cart and pay on line using your credit card! http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      "Living as the Beloved" is available for $20.95 each, plus shipping and handling.  Six or more copies are $15.75 each, plus shipping and handling.  You can find http://tinyurl.com/Living-as-Beloved.

      United States customers, please remember when ordering on the Web site secure server to select "US Postal Service Parcel Post" rather than the default setting of "UPS Ground."  It is much less expensive!