Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of January 19, 2014

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 20, 2014
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of January 19, 2014

      **********
      The 2014 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary is available for immediate shipment.  Order yours today at http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCal_13_14.html

      Please check out two new things on our Web site:  Our new line of note cards, http://www.chirhopress.com/products/Fontaine_cards_pick_list.html and our newest book, "A

      More Excellent Way," by EXCEL Retreat Ministries, at http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevAMoreExcellent%20Way.htm .

      **********

      As one of the on-going ministries of Chi Rho Press, here is a selection from our book of daily devotions, "Living as the Beloved: One Day at a Time," by the Rev. Dr. Sandra Bochonok.

      Please read the Scripture passage and Dr. Bochonok's meditation.  We hope you will be blessed.  Thank you for forwarding this to your friends.

      Noisy contemplation

      "And the crowd came together again, so that they could not even eat."
      Mark 3:20

      A great book for busy people to read is "Noisy Contemplation: Deep Prayer for Busy People," written by William R. Callahan.  Callahan insists that noisy contemplation is "street spirituality."  He expresses his conviction that ordinary people can experience deep prayer and learn to pray in a world of noise and conflict.  He suggests that we get away to a place of quiet when we can, but that we learn to pray "noisy contemplation" when getting away is impossible.

      Callahan encourages his readers to pray like Jesus, "Jesus prayed throughout a busy 'activist' ministry . . . Jesus engaged in noisy contemplation and so can we" (Callahan, William R.  " Noisy Contemplation: Deep Prayer for Busy People," p. 2).  We can find moments apart, to learn how to pray constantly and pray during the busiest moments of our lives.  We can pray like Jesus.  He saw people and events through God's eyes and prayed for them while they interacted.  But he also sought quiet places apart from friends and the crowds when he could.  He believed in prayer and welcomed opportunities to pray and rest both privately and publicly.  Two impressive examples: Jesus prayed alone (Luke 9:18), but he also intentionally took his disciples with him as he went away to rest and pray (Mark 6:31).

      Jesus was a contemplative activist.  His quiet time restored him so he could return to work and ministry.  We would be wise to heed his words to, ���Come away to a deserted place by yourselves and rest a while��� (Mark 6:31).  Because of these spiritual practices, he could experience deep prayer during hectic, chaotic, busy moments of "noisy contemplation."

      God, teach us "noisy contemplation."  Help us pray like Jesus.  Amen.

      Please visit the Chi Rho Press Web site.  You can order using our convenient secure shopping cart and pay on line using your credit card! http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      "Living as the Beloved" is available for $20.95 each, plus shipping and handling.  Six or more copies are $15.75 each, plus shipping and handling.  You can find http://tinyurl.com/Living-as-Beloved.

      United States customers, please remember when ordering on the Web site secure server to select "US Postal Service Parcel Post" rather than the default setting of "UPS Ground."  It is much less expensive!