Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of December 29, 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29, 2013
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of December 29, 2013

      **********
      The 2014 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary is back from the printer and bindery and available for immediate shipment.  Order yours today at http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCal_13_14.html

      Please check out two new things on our Web site:  Our new line of note cards, http://www.chirhopress.com/products/Fontaine_cards_pick_list.html and our newest book, "A
      More Excellent Way," by EXCEL Retreat Ministries, at http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevAMoreExcellent%20Way.htm .

      **********

      As one of the on-going ministries of Chi Rho Press, here is a selection from our book of daily devotions,
      "Living as the Beloved: One Day at a Time," by the Rev. Dr. Sandra Bochonok.

      Please read the Scripture passage and Dr. Bochonok's meditation.  We hope you will be blessed.  Thank you for forwarding this to your friends.

      Amazing spiritual insights

      "Now every year his parents went to Jerusalem for the festival of the Passover.  And when he was twelve years old, they went up as usual for the festival.  When the festival was ended and they started to return, the boy Jesus stayed behind in Jerusalem, but his parents did not know it.  Assuming that he was in the group of travellers, they went a day's journey.  Then they started to look for him among their relatives and friends.  When they did not find him, they returned to Jerusalem to search for him.  After three days they found him in the temple, sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions.  And all who heard him were amazed at his understanding and his answers."
      Luke 2:41-47

      Jesus grew up with God-power.  His parents were devout and loving people of faith.  They were determined to raise their children with the benefits of a religious education and upbringing.  Their children would learn how to pray, study sacred words, worship regularly, practicing and honoring daily, weekly, and annual religious rituals and observances.  This would empower their children when life became difficult.

      As a result, Jesus had a rich spiritual upbringing.  He loved learning about God and was full of questions as only a twelve-year-old can be.  He so hungered for God-knowledge that he lingered in Jerusalem to be with the religious teachers of the temple.  While his parents were frantic with worry over his welfare, Jesus astonished the religious teachers with his spiritual understandings.  His worried parents found their remarkable child in the temple courts.

      Many parents chose not to raise their children within a church.  As a result, their little ones grow up without hearing wonderful Sunday school stories about Jesus.  I have found over the years, that when those children become adults, they lack a spiritual foundation that helps them cry out to God in their deepest moments of human need.  Many do not know how to pray.

      On the other side of the spectrum, there are abusive and intolerant religious institutions that teach bigotry, condemnation, and hate towards those different from themselves.  Much grief has resulted and many wars have been fought in the name of God.  Religious intolerance always ends in human tragedies.  Fortunately there are some people who are reluctant to perpetuate that kind of religion to the next generation.

      Yet children and adults alike need a healthy spiritual foundation that is personal, sustaining, dignifying, uplifting.  No matter what age we are, we need God, even when religious institutions fail us.  We are never too old to approach God, as blessed and cherished children.  So with childlike curiosity, be open to learning more about God and you will find great healing and strength for your soul.  Study the amazing spiritual insights as revealed by the inquisitive twelve-year-old Jesus and you will be empowered for life.

      God, help us reclaim childhood innocence and eagerly learn about you.  Bless us as we raise our children with some basic spiritual foundations to equip them for life.  Amen.

      Please visit the Chi Rho Press Web site.  You can order using our convenient secure shopping cart and pay on line using your credit card! http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      "Living as the Beloved" is available for $20.95 each, plus shipping and handling.  Six or more copies are
      $15.75 each, plus shipping and handling.  You can find http://tinyurl.com/Living-as-Beloved.

      United States customers, please remember when ordering on the Web site secure server to select "US Postal Service Parcel Post" rather than the default setting of "UPS Ground."  It is much less expensive!