Chi Rho Connection, 14 December 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 14, 2013

      The Very Periodic eNewsletter of Chi Rho Press,
      Your LGBTQQA Christian Publishing House
      Vol. XIII, No. 3

      1.         2013-2014 Liturgical Calendar
      2.         New Book!
      3.         New Line of Note Cards!
      4.         Have you Started your Christmas Shopping Yet?
      5.         Adam's Last Word

      Please visit our Web site at http://www.chirhopress.com to see our entire lines of books, handouts, videos, tapes, tchochkas, and stained glass.

      1.         2013-2014 Liturgical Calendar

      The 2013-2014 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary is finally back from the printer and bindery.  We are putting all the orders we’ve received thus far in the mail Monday morning.  You can still order it on our Web site.  http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCal_13_14.html

      The 2013-2014 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary (Year A) sells for $12.95 each, $10.50 each for six or more copies, plus shipping and handling.

      The Lectionary in the Liturgical Calendar is from the Revised Common Lectionary, widely used as the ecumenical consensus on readings for each Sunday and holy day in the three-year cycle of the church year.  Our Liturgical Calendar is packed with useful information for planning worship and preaching in the local church.  It is intended for use by pastors, musicians, altar guilds, teachers, theological students, and anyone using the Church Year as a basis for worship or education.  The Liturgical Calendar is spiral bound so it can lie flat for easy use, in the popular 8 ½" x 11" format.

      Featured in this Liturgical Calendar are these sections: A Heading that identifies the day in the church year (for example, the first Sunday of Advent) with alternative descriptions where appropriate.

      The Revised Common Lectionary readings, including a brief summary of each reading.  (These are intended as only a very brief overview to identify general themes as an aid to worship planning.  We do not represent them as anything approaching a thorough exegesis.)

      The First Reading is usually from the Hebrew Testament, but there are exceptions, such as the use of readings from Acts during the Easter season.  These are sometimes selected thematically to fit the Liturgical Calendar, but often are simply being read through key passages over a series of weeks.  This is followed by a Response, usually a Psalm.  The Epistle Reading is next, like the Hebrew Testament Reading typically a series of key passages from the same book being read over a number of weeks.  Finally the Gospel Reading follows the story of Jesus through the Christmas and Easter cycles, plus the teachings of Jesus the rest of the year.

      Next is a section on Worship Planning, including the liturgical color of the day, symbols and decorations that can be used to enhance the worship experience, and Special Events for the week which the congregation may want to remember and commemorate on Sunday.

      Rev. Witt has added lots of Notes in the Worship Planning section which serve to explain in more detail information about the time of the church year, provide resources for further study and information, and develop liturgical themes to make your worship experience more rich and meaningful.

      Then comes a section called "Special Events," which includes any special events occurring that day or that week that you may wish to commemorate, such as national holidays or special holy days in other religions, and some special occasions for celebrations of diversity, such as celebration days for specific cultures (e.g., Cinco de Mayo) and special days for the GLBT community (e.g., a day of remembrance for Matthew Shepherd).

      As special added sections, we have included alternative readings for the four Sundays of Pride-Tide (June) prepared by the Rev. Gordon McCoy.  The five sets of readings for Pride-Tide 2014 may be used at any time in the year that the faith community celebrates LGBT Pride.  The standard Revised Common Lectionary readings are included for the five Sundays in June as well.  Rev. McCoy has also written our entry for World AIDS Day on December 1st.  And we have added readings for the Transgender Day of Remembrance, November 20th.

      The 2013-2014 Liturgical Calendar will be a helpful aid for anyone involved in planning worship, as well as a useful resource for all who want to know more about the Church year and the rich liturgical life of the Church Universal.

      Order the 2014 Calendar today at this new link http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCal_13_14.html

      The 2014 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary sells for $12.95 each, $10.50 each for six or more copies, plus shipping and handling.

      2.            Christmas Gifts:  New Book!

      In addition to the Liturgical Calendar (which would make a great gift for your pastor, worship leaders, or music director!), we have a few new things since last year that would make great Christmas gifts.

      "A More Excellent Way" 1 Corinthians 12:31, a
      Book of Daily Devotions by EXCEL Retreat Ministries.

      EXCEL Retreat Ministries offers a book of
      devotions for every day of the year.  This volume
      is organized by the nine themes of the first
      EXCEL weekend and the tripod of themes of the
      EXCEL in Faithfulness follow-up weekend.  Ideal,
      Grace, Commitment, Prayer, Study, Action,
      Ministries, Security, and You are the themes of
      the talks in the basic EXCEL weekend retreat.
      Faithfulness to Self, Faithfulness to Others,
      and Faithfulness to God are the tripod of
      talks that anchor the EXCEL in Faithfulness
      follow-up weekend.

      The book is paperback, and $19.95 each, six or
      more copies for $14.95 each, plus shipping and
      handling.

      "A More Excellent Way" is the brainchild and
      ministry of Mr. Jerry Reitz, past board chair of
      EXCEL Retreat Ministries, Inc.  He has been
      assisted by many, many writers from many EXCEL
      teams and alumni of many EXCEL weekends.

      The teams that worked on this book include the
      EXCEL of the Armadillo Team, Houston, Texas; the
      EXCEL in Europe Team, London, England; the EXCEL
      in the Redwoods Team, San Francisco Bay Area,
      California; the EXCEL of the Living Waters Team,
      San Diego, California; the EXCEL of the Rainbow
      Zebra Team, Atlanta, Georgia and Birmingham,
      Alabama; the EXCEL of the Rockies Team, Colorado
      Springs, Colorado; the EXCEL of the Way Team,
      Seattle, Washington; the EXCEL in Faithfulness
      Abunchovum Team, Houston, Texas; the EXCEL in
      Faithfulness Bay Area Team, the San Francisco Bay
      area; and the EXCEL in Rainbow Eagle Team,
      Birmingham, Alabama.  Many other people assisted
      in writing as well.

      The work of talented photographer, Mr. Billy
      Stevens, adorns the cover of this book of daily
      devotions, as well as the title page for each month.

      EXCEL is a spiritual renewal Christian
      educational program intended to strengthen the
      local church through the development of Christian
      saints and lay leaders.

      Please order your copy of "A More Excellent Way"
      today at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevAMoreExcellent%20Way.htm#About_This_Book

      3.         New Line of Note Cards!

      Chi Rho Press is pleased to introduce a new line
      of note cards featuring talented photographer Laura
      S. Fontaine.

      Laura is a registered nurse who has worked in
      cancer genetic research for nearly 20 years, a
      fascinating and frustrating job that she loves.
      Photography offers a creative outlet for her;
      she is seldom without her camera.  She
      especially loves photographing the wonders and
      beauty of the natural world: capturing small
      snapshots of peace amidst the busyness and
      stresses of everyday life.  Laura lives in
      Maryland with her husband and two daughters and
      is a strong ally of the LGBTQQ community.

      These 17 cards measure 4 ¼" by 5 ½" and come with
      envelopes.  They can be purchased individually or
      in boxed sets of five cards and envelopes in a
      box.  Boxed sets are of all the same card.
      Individual cards and envelopes are $1.95 each.
      The boxed sets of five cards and envelopes are
      $7.95 each.  SHIPPING IS FREE when ordering from
      our Web site.

      Laura has created a selection of 17 beautiful
      full color nature scenes.  The note cards are
      blank inside so you may add your own personalized
      greeting and thus can be used for any occasion.
      We like to say our new note cards are multi-lingual.
      They are in whatever language you write in them!

      Individual Cards are $1.95 each.  5-Card Boxes
      are $7.95 each.  SHIPPING IS FREE!  (Please note
      that all shipping of cards will be by the United
      States Postal Service and alternate shipping
      methods shown at checkout do not apply.)

      4.         Have you started your Christmas shopping?

      What if we could point you to a store that is open
      24 hours a day, seven days a week; where you can shop
      in your pajamas if you want; where you can buy books,
      stained glass, and even stocking stuffers; and where
      shipping within the United States is free for orders
      over $100!  Of course, we are talking about our own
      Web site, http://www.ChiRhoPress.com.

      Books make great gifts!  Titles such as Steps to
      Recovery from Bible Abuse, Living as the Beloved,
      Christian with a Twist, The Bible and Homosexuality,
      two different Lenten studies, Come Home!, Called OUT!,
      Positively Gay, My Memory Book, the new 2014 Liturgical
      Calendar and Lectionary, The Road to Emmaus, and
      A More Excellent Way are all available and ready to ship.
      Plus we have audio and video tapes, CDs, five different
      stained glass designs, rainbow key chains and
      bracelets, sterling silver MCC crosses and more!  And the
      new line of note cards (see number 1 above).

      We have designed gift certificates that can be made out
      for any amount you care to give.

      These are not yet available on our Web site, so send your
      check with a note indicating that you are buying a Gift
      Certificate and we will make up an attractive Gift
      Certificate for the amount of your check for you to give
      along with a copy of our catalog.

      Chi Rho Press Gift Certificates make excellent gifts!
      Order some today at Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,
      Gaithersburg, MD 20898.

      Come shop at Chi Rho Press!

      5.         Adam's Last Word

      Please see our Facebook page at
      http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/pages/Chi-Rho-Press/268449984615   and like our page.

      *****

      Can you help Chi Rho Press?  Let all your friends
      know about us and encourage them to visit
      www.ChiRhoPress.com and buy a book or other product!

      Thanks and grace and peace to you all.

      *****

      Please encourage members of your church to participate
      in the special fund raising offer from Chi Rho Press.
      We will make a donation of 10% of all sales from
      people who mention your congregation in the "Special
      Instructions and Comments" box on the check out page.

      Please let your people know as soon as possible about
      this opportunity to help both our ministries.

      *****

      Shipping and Handling Tip: This tip will be
      especially important if you are ordering one or
      two Liturgical Calendars!

      When you are ordering from the Chi Rho Press Web
      site, be sure to tell us your preferred shipping
      method.  The way the shopping cart is set up, the
      shipping method defaults to United Parcel Service.

      This is NOT the most economical way to ship for
      orders under seven pounds.  If you want the most
      inexpensive shipping (within the United States)
      it is usually best to pick USPS (United States
      Postal Service Domestic Parcel Post) for packages
      weighing under seven pounds.  UPS (United Parcel
      Service) Ground is more economical for packages
      heavier than seven pounds.  The shopping cart will
      tell you how much your order weighs in the box right
      next to your order amount and price.  There is a link
      there to change your shipping method as well.

      When I order one copy of the Liturgical Calendar and
      allow the default UPS Ground shipping method, the
      shipping cost is almost as much as the book, $10.11!
      But if I change the shipping method to USPS Parcel
      Post shipping is only $6.28, and it is $6.46 for USPS
      Priority Mail.

      Be smart shoppers and choose your shipping options
      carefully to avoid paying too much!

      *****

      Gracia y paz,

      Brother R. Adam DeBaugh, OSL
      Director, Adam@....

      Please visit http://www.ChiRhoPress.com .  You may
      pay by credit card on our Web page or we will ship
      order.  Please always include your e-mail address,

      Copyright 2013, Chi Rho Press.