Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of November 10, 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 10, 2013
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of November 10, 2013

      **********
      Please check out two new things on our Web site:  Our new line of note cards, http://www.chirhopress.com/products/Fontaine_cards_pick_list.html and our newest book, "A More Excellent Way," by EXCEL Retreat Ministries, at http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevAMoreExcellent%20Way.htm .

      meditation.  We hope you will be blessed.  Thank you
      for forwarding this to your friends.

      God chooses the weak, foolish, and despised

      "Consider your own call, brothers and sisters: not many of you were wise by human standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth.  But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, things that are not, to reduce to nothing things that are."
      1 Corinthians 1:26-28

      As a pastor, I hear remarkable stories about faith and quiet heroism by people living in obscurity.  While quietly listening to an international guest, I learned today's verses had inspired her in a long term, dangerously overwhelming situation with no easy solutions in sight.  "I find it hard to believe," she mused, "that God would use me in such important ways.  I am a Christian, lesbian, and a racial minority in a country where there are no existing human rights.  Yet God is using me to make a difference and save many lives."

      God's ways are often not our own.  God changes the world using people that societies often throw away or devalue and despise.  Consider your call, the apostle Paul urges us in the scriptures.  Not many of you are powerful, wise, or from socially prestigious families.  God's way is to use the weak and the foolish in the world, those who are often detested by the wealthy and politically powerful and socially ambitious.

      In the survival of the fittest, only the strong survive.  But Paul had learned something of God's strategy the hard way, through hardships, suffering, and danger.  When we are at our weakest, Christ's power is most evident in our lives.  When we find ourselves up against humanly impossible odds, we learn our God is God of the impossible.  God's grace is more than sufficient for us, for in the context of faith, divine power is perfected in human weakness.  When we are at our lowest ebb and at the end of our wits and resources, God's strength abounds.

      Take what the world may perceive as a physical, mental, spiritual, or emotional disability or limitation, and offer it to God as your unique and priceless gift.  Let God use you as you are, for when we are weakest, Christ empowers.

      A popular saying reminds us to make lemonade when life gives us lemons.  Rather than whine and engage in self-pity, consider your own call.  Ask God to use you in extraordinary ways and be a blessing to many.  In weakness, hardships, insults, persecutions, difficulties, when we are weakest, through the power of God, we are at our strongest.

      Thank you, God, for today's timely reminder to consider our own call.  Use us in remarkable ways to make the world a better place.  May the power of Christ be evident through our human frailties, for your glory.  Amen.

      Please visit the Chi Rho Press Web site.  You can order

      plus shipping and handling.  Six or more copies are
      $15.75 each, plus shipping and handling.  You can find

      of "UPS Ground."  It is much less expensive!