Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of Oct. 28, 2001

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 2001
      is a meditation from 'The Road to Emmaus,' a book of
      of faith. This meditation was written by Joseph W. Houle.

      Matthew 13:18-23

      �Hear then the parable of the sower.�

      I stand with the crowd today and listen attentively as your
      words fall on me like seeds ready to sprout, grow, and bear
      fruit. Suddenly I am an expanse of land stretching north,
      east, west, south, with the landscape of my inner life
      lying open before you.

      I watch as you scatter seeds on pathways word hard by my
      busyness, and I see commitments, like a hundred birds,
      swoop down on each moment, devouring the promise of new
      life before it can sprout.

      I watch as you scatter seeds on rocky soil, that part of
      me that has not yet learned to persevere, and I see that
      the seeds sprout quickly in the morning, but cannot endure
      the heat of noon.

      I watch as you scatter seeds on thorn-infested soil, that
      part of me that is full of contradictory desires that turn
      my inner life into a battleground, and I see the seeds
      choked to death before then can mature.

      A great sadness comes over me, because I understand that in
      my search for meaning and purpose I have left little room
      within me for your Word to take root and grow.

      At that very moment I see you casting seeds with wild
      abandon on good soil. The wind carries your words to me:
      �Now that you are open to hear, accept, and persevere in
      my Word, you have become good soil, and you will yield
      abundant fruit.�

      Throughout the day, I observe the many kinds of soil in
      the fields I pass. With a knowing smile I scatter seeds
      of truth that Jesus has entrusted to me; for I know that
      even if some seeds are lost on hard, rocky, or thorny
      ground, in the end some will fall on good soil and yield
      an incredibly abundant harvest.

      Grace and peace,

      R. Adam DeBaugh and Kevin Stone Fries

      Visit the Chi Rho Press Website. You can order using our
      convenient shopping cart and pay on line using your credit
      card! http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      Purchase �The Road to Emmaus� from Chi Rho Press for $9.95
      order for $12.45 to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,