Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of August 18, 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 17, 2013
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of August 18, 2013

      Please check out two new things on our Web site:
      Our new line of note cards,
      and our newest book, "A More Excellent Way," by
      EXCEL Retreat Ministries, at

      Jesus and little children

      "Then little children were being brought to him in
      order that he might lay his hands on them and pray.
      The disciples spoke sternly to those who brought them;
      but Jesus said, 'Let the little children come to me,
      and do not stop them; for it is to such as these that
      the kingdom of heaven belongs.' And he laid his hands
      on them and went on his way."
      Matthew 19:13-15

      Madeleine L'Engle is one of my favorite writers. She
      has this to say about a child's understanding of Jesus,
      "A teacher of small children told us of a child who said
      to her, 'Jesus is God's show and tell.' How simple and
      how wonderful! Jesus is God's show and tell. That's
      the best theology of incarnation I've ever heard. If
      we do not understand Jesus as a little child, we will
      not be able to enter the kingdom of heaven. That child's
      insight works more powerfully for me than dogma" (L'Engle,
      Madeleine. "Glimpses of Grace," p. 111).

      Let the little children teach us. Recently I was at the
      home of the single mother of an eight-year-old. We were
      talking about the preaching invitation a local Unitarian
      church had graciously offered me. I had used the
      expression "pulpit supply" in our conversation. Later
      the child exclaimed, "I want to see your puppet supply!"
      We had a good laugh at my expense! But I marvel at the
      child's insight. Am I a mindless, entertaining, and
      harmless puppet in the pulpit dancing to the tune of
      popular public opinion on contemporary and controversial
      issues? Or am I a gracious representative of God's
      presence? Do I speak and write thoughtfully, prayerfully,
      and prophetically after thorough study and preparation?
      Let the little children teach us and do not hinder them!

      Jesus loved children. The harried disciples attempted to
      protect Jesus from the young ones, but he always took time
      for them. All were precious in his sight. Jesus offers
      us an example as God's show and tell. He was never too
      busy to hold and bless a child. Let the little children
      teach us. May we treat all children with the love of

      God, help us see Jesus with childlike trust. Help us see
      children with the eyes of Jesus. Amen.