Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of June 16, 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 15, 2013
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of June 16, 2013

      Sheep, wolves, snakes, and doves

      "Whatever town or village you enter, find out who in
      it is worthy, and stay there until you leave. As you
      enter the house, greet it. If the house is worthy,
      let your peace come upon it; but if it is not worthy,
      let your peace return to you. If anyone will not
      welcome you or listen to your words, shake off the
      dust from your feet as you leave that house or town.
      Truly I tell you, it will be more tolerable for the
      land of Sodom and Gomorrah on the day of judgement
      than for that town. 'See, I am sending you out like
      sheep into the midst of wolves; so be wise as serpents
      and innocent as doves.'"
      Matthew 10:11-16

      Not everyone is interested in hearing Jesus' message
      of God's peace. We are called to share this good news
      with prudence, discernment, wisdom, and discretion.
      Evaluate your surroundings. Carefully assess who is
      friend or foe. Be wise and innocent both at the same
      time. Realize some will refuse to hear and may act
      with violence against you. If refused a hearing, shake
      the dust off your feet and go on to other places. Do
      not stay where you are not welcome. Those who refuse
      to hear the gospel message of God's peace will someday
      face a judgment far more severe than Sodom and Gomorrah
      (Genesis 19).

      Sometimes those we love and trust will not welcome us.
      That happened to me after a decade of ordained ministry
      when planning to visit some old seminary friends. Over
      the years, I had changed denominations from a conservative
      evangelical denomination to a more inclusive and affirming
      Protestant group that welcomes people of all sexual
      orientations, the Metropolitan Community Churches (MCC).
      I had reached out with open arms and a loving heart to my
      dear friends. Their words of rejection and refusal of
      hospitality cut me deep to the heart. I could not visit
      their home as formerly planned. They referred me to a
      motel room. They had researched my denomination and
      disagreed with its statement of faith and judged me as
      being "incompatible with Christian teachings." I was
      no longer a welcomed guest and friend. That was the
      day that these biblical verses became intensely personal
      for me.

      So be wise. Listen to the Spirit before speaking.
      Sharing God's grace and mercy can be hazardous work.
      Live and serve Jesus as very wise sheep surrounded by
      wolves.

      God, help us serve you with wisdom, prudence, and holy
      boldness. Amen.