Chi Rho Press eNewsletter, Vol. 1, No. 9, 29 September 1999

  • Ronald@xxxxxxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29, 1999
      Chi Rho Press eNewsletter
      Vol. 1, No. 9

      Welcome to our ninth eNewsletter! Thanks to all of you for your support. We encourage you to send this eNewsletter on to your email lists.

      To join our list and get your own copy of our eNewsletter, send an email message to ChiRhoPress-subscribe@onelist.com.

      All other email should be directed to Adam@.... See the end of this eNewsletter for a complete list of email addresses at ChiRhoPress.com.

      We are glad you're with us.

      R. Adam DeBaugh
      Director, Chi Rho Press, Inc.

      1. "Gay By God" Teleclass
      2. The New Chi Rho Press Web Page!
      3. "Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse" Promissory Notes Now Available
      4. Special Offer
      5. Book of the Month
      6. Fun Stuff
      7. The Last Word

      1. "Gay By God" Teleclass

      The first "Gay By God" telephone workshop was a grand success! The second telephone workshop is scheduled for Thursday, October 21, at 9 pm (EDT). Chi Rho Press has teamed up with Ron DeVrou of GayCoach.com to sponsor this unique teleclass series, "Gay By God." Ron is a Psychotherapist and Personal & Relationships Life Coach in Washington, DC.

      The "Gay By God" telephone workshop series centers around LGBT Spirituality. The host of the second workshop on Oct. 21 will again be Adam DeBaugh, Director of Chi Rho Press. In this workshop participants will be able to discuss their notions of Gay Spirituality and reflect on their spiritual journeys.

      Participation is limited to the first 30 people to register, so register early.
      For more information about the "Gay By God" telephone workshop on October 21, please email Ron DeVrou at Workshops@... or Adam DeBaugh at GayByGod@....

      2. The New Chi Rho Press Web Page!

      Our new web page is up and running, thanks to the efforts of web designer Mark David Streetman, Director Adam DeBaugh, and board members Ronald DeVrou and Steve Barchers. It is still being added to and perfected, but feel free to check it out at www.ChiRhoPress.com.

      We will continue adding graphics, additional information, and more links, as well as information about new and up-coming books as it is available. The look of the web site will change frequently as we perfect it, play with it, and continue to refine it. Your suggestions are most welcome!

      We hope to be adding an interactive order form in the future. But please check out our preliminary efforts. http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      3. New Promissory Notes Available

      In order to fund the production of Dr. Rembert Truluck's book, "Steps to
      Recovery from Bible Abuse," $1,000 Promissory Notes at 8% interest are
      available. We are looking for people who are interested in supporting Dr.
      Truluck's excellent work by helping to fund the publication of his book. The notes will be repaid over a two year period at 8% simple interest, with payments being sent quarterly. Write Adam@... for more information. Read more about Dr. Truluck's ministry and "Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse" at http://www.truluck.com

      4. Special Offer

      Dr. Rembert Truluck is on our mind! As we start laying out our next publication, Dr. Truluck's massive "Steps to Recovery from Bible
      Abuse," his first book (which we published) is dwindling on our shelves.
      "Invitation to Freedom" was published in 1993 and is a 68 page series of Bible studies which focus on personal evangelism for the LGBT community.

      "Invitation to Freedom" has remained one of our enduring favorites and is
      excellent for small groups. It contains 10 Bible studies which can be easily used for small group curricula. "Invitation to Freedom," the subtitle of which is "Bible Studies in Personal Evangelism," is an excellent workbook on personal evangelism, including chapters on a number of Bible passages that explain and encourage the work of the Great Commission for everyone.

      Dr. Truluck believes that personal evangelism starts with one's-self. Too often Gay and Lesbian people have been told that they are not worthy of God's love, so the first person we need to bring the Good News of Jesus Christ is ourselves!

      "Invitation to Freedom" sells for $7.00 but in honor of Dr. Truluck's upcoming book, it is on sale to readers of this eNewsletter through the month of September for $5.00, plus shipping and handling. Email your order to Orders@....

      5. Book of the Month

      "From Wounded Hearts: Faith Stories of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgendered People and Those Who Love Them," compiled and edited by Roberta Showalter Kreider. This is the second anthology published by Chi Rho Press with LGBT people telling their own stories in their own words. The first, "Called OUT! The Voices and Gifts of LGBT Presbyterians" is a best seller for us and is still available ($15.95).

      "From Wounded Hearts" is different in that it has family members of LGBT people telling their stories as well. About two thirds of the 49 authors are from the sexual minority community and the remaining third are family members of gay people. In a few cases a gay child writes in the first section and his or her parents write in the second, and in one case it is a lesbian mother and her non-gay daughter writing separate articles.

      Many of the contributors to "From Wounded Hearts" are from the Anabaptist tradition, Mennonites or Church of the Brethren, though many other Christian religious denominations are also represented. The book paints a good picture of the broad diversity of religious faith and LGBT lifestyles and traditions.

      "From Wounded Hearts" is available from Chi Rho Press for $19.95 each, plus shipping and handling.

      6. Fun Stuff

      We encountered this floating around cyber-space and got a chuckle out of it, so we wanted to pass it on. (Unfortunately, there was no attribution on the copy we were sent, so we don't know where this came from, but they are very cute.)

      The following statements about the bible were written by children and have not been retouched or corrected (i.e., bad spelling has been left in.)

      ** In the first book of the Bible, Guinessis, God got tired of creating the
      world, so he took the Sabbath off.
      ** Adam and Eve were created from an apple tree.
      ** Noah's wife was called Joan of Ark.
      ** Noah built an ark, which the animals come on to in pears.
      ** Lot's wife was a pillar of salt by day, but a ball of fire by night.
      ** The Jews were a proud people and throughout history they had trouble with the unsympathetic Genitals.
      ** Samson was a strongman who let himself be led astray by a Jezebel like Delilah.
      ** Samson slayed the Philistines with the axe of the Apostles.
      ** Moses led the Hebrews to the Red Sea, where they made unleavened bread which is bread without any ingredients.
      ** The Egyptians were all drowned in the dessert. Afterwards, Moses went up on Mount Cyanide to get the ten amendments.

      7. The Last Word**** Washington area people! We are looking for a part time office assistant to help with filling orders, returning phone calls, filing, and possibly some on-line marketing. The person needs to be near Gaithersburg, Maryland, and available evenings and weekends to start. We may want to add day time hours later, but we will be very flexible about hours. Please emailAdam@... or call me at 301/926-1208.

      Well, that wraps up our ninth eNewsletter. With September comes autumn and school has starting again for many. Summer is drawing to a close and we at Chi Rho Press hope your summer was a time of refreshment and renewal, and that autumn brings energy, joy, and contentment. And good reading!Please keep us in your prayers. We hope our publications will be of use to you in your life and ministry.We will talk with
      you again in a couple of weeks.

      Grace and peace,

      R. Adam DeBaugh

      If you've received our eNewsletter as a result of the good offices of someone passing it along to you (which we certainly encourage) and would like to receive it directly from us, please follow the directions at the end of our eNewsletter to subscribe.

      For orders, please write to us: Orders@.... If you have questions, please write to Question@....

      For comments and suggestions about this eNewsletter, please write eNews@.... For all other correspondence, please write Adam@... snail mail address is:Chi Rho Press, Inc.P.O. Box 7864Gaithersburg, MD 20898 Our telephone and fax number is 301/926-1208.

      You may order any of our books via snail mail, telephone, fax, or email at
      Orders@.... We will ship your order with an invoice. Include your email address, mailing address, and telephone number please.

      View our new web page at http://www.ChiRhoPress/com.For the convenience of our friends outside of the USA, we suggest ordering our books through Amazon.com.
      Copyright 1999, Chi Rho Press, Inc.

      SUBSCRIBE: ChiRhoPress-subscribe@onelist.com