Chi Rho Connection, Vol. II, No. 24

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 26, 2001

      The Chi Rho Press eNewsletter
      Vol. II, No. 24

      Just a reminder: contributions to Chi Rho Press are
      fully tax deductible!

      electronic newsletter of Chi Rho Press. Thank you for
      passing this Chi Rho Connection on to others.

      To unsubscribe send an e-mail to

      to see our entire lines of books, handouts, tchochkas,
      and stained glass.

      Direct all other e-mail to Adam@.... See
      the end of this eNewsletter for a complete list of
      e-mail addresses at ChiRhoPress.com.

      1. Chi Rho Press Gift Certificates Available
      2. Salvation Army Protest Cards
      3. District Conference Raffle
      4. Holiday Shopping
      5. The Fifth Step to Recovery from Bible Abuse
      6. Upcoming Chi Rho Press Events
      7. Opportunities to Participate in This Ministry

      1. Chi Rho Press Gift Certificates Available

      One of our loyal supporters suggested we make Gift
      Certificates available from Chi Rho Press. We think that
      is an excellent idea, so we have designed gift certificates
      that can be made out for any amount you care to give.

      These are not yet available on our Web site, so send your
      check with a note indicating that you are buying a Gift
      Certificate and we will make up an attractive Gift
      Certificate for the amount of your check for you to give
      along with a copy of our catalog.

      Chi Rho Press Gift Certificates make excellent gifts!
      Order some today at Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,

      2. Salvation Army Protest Cards

      We have created cards in protest of the Salvation Army’s
      attempt to make a deal with the US government to circumvent
      local and state civil rights laws protecting gay and
      lesbian people. The cards are 4 ¼” by 2 ¾” on light green
      card stock.

      They say, ‘Dear Salvation Army, While I appreciate the good
      works that you do in terms of feeding, clothing, and
      housing the poor and needy, I am appalled by your attempt
      this past summer to subvert local and state civil rights
      laws. Because of your homophobic policies, I am bypassing
      your Red Kettles this season and will be giving my
      charitable contributions to organizations friendly to the
      gay and lesbian community. Merry Christmas.’

      Buy a stock of cards and put one in the bucket every time
      you see a Salvation Army bell ringer this holiday season.

      Salvation Army Protest Cards are available at 15 cards for
      $1.00 plus shipping and handling. These are only available
      by direct mail, and are not on our Web site at this time.
      Send your check or money order to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box
      7864, Gaithersburg, MD 20898. (E-mail us at
      Orders@... for exact cost with shipping of a
      specific number of cards.)

      3. District Conference Raffle

      We are planning for the Mid-Atlantic District Conference
      in Hagerstown, Maryland, Nov. 9 and 10, at the Ramada Inn
      and Conference Center (301/733-5100).

      The Chi Rho Press Board and staff are planning a major
      presence at this Conference. We are hoping that most of
      our board members will join director Adam DeBaugh and
      Editor/Office Manager Kevin Fries, along with volunteers
      and other supporters.

      We will raffle off a holiday Basket of Books filled
      with over $150 worth of Press books, tapes, the Kreider
      video, stained glass, and other goodies. Raffle tickets
      are now available and are $1.00 each, six for $5.00. You
      can buy raffle tickets even if you are not able to be in
      Hagerstown with us. Just send us a check or money order
      for the number of tickets you want and we will send the
      ticket stubs (all filled out with your name and phone
      number) by return mail. You won’t have to be present to win.
      Remember -- $1.00 each, or six for $5.00!

      And if you are able to, please come join us in Hagerstown
      and say hello!

      4. Holiday Shopping

      Christmas is a just two months away! Why not do all
      your Christmas shopping at Chi Rho Press? Imagine being
      able to boast to your friends and family that you have
      finished your Christmas shopping this early!

      Here are some great ideas for your holiday shopping:

      *****

      Stained Glass: There are five designs to choose from on
      our Web page. In this issue we feature our rainbow cross.
      The rainbow cross is made of seven different pieces of
      glass (the arms have rectangles of red, orange, yellow,
      green, blue, and purple with a frosted clear center).
      They are handcrafted in the copper foil and solder method.
      They have an attached hoop so you may hang it in a window
      or from a Christmas tree as a holiday decoration. Our
      rainbow cross is $18.00, plus shipping and handling.

      *****

      ‘Positively Gay’ for an LBGT person just coming out, and
      even for someone who has been out for a while! Only
      $14.95, plus shipping and handling (six or more for
      $11.25 each), ‘Positively Gay’ is not yet available on
      our Web site. Send your check or money order for $17.45
      for one copy to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864, Gaithersburg,
      MD 20898.

      *****

      ‘Come Home! Reclaiming Spirituality and Community as Gay
      Men and Lesbians,’ second edition, by Chris Glaser. One
      of the best books from this popular Gay Christian author.
      ‘I rejoice that in this book all the gay men and lesbian
      women who have been robbed of their spirituality are issued
      an urgent invitation: Come Home!’ says Virginia Ramey
      Mollenkott. $19.95 each, six or more for $14.95 each, plus
      shipping and handling.

      *****

      ‘From Wounded Hearts: Faith Stories of LGBT People and
      Those Who Love Them,’ compiled by Roberta Showalter Kreider.
      This wonderful anthology is soon to be out of print and
      contains stories of 49 people of faith. The first two
      thirds of the book is by LGBT people, the last third is
      from friends and family members. $19.95 each, plus
      shipping and handling.

      *****

      ‘What a Fellowship,’ by Jean Gralley. The UFMCC’s first
      cartoon book by a talented graphic artist. A wonderful,
      light-hearted gift. $8.95, six or more for $6.75 each,
      plus shipping and handling.

      *****

      'The Road to Emmaus' an inclusive daily devotional by and
      for LGBT people of faith, $9.95 each, six or more copies
      for $7.50 each, plus shipping and handling. (Subscribers
      to the Chi Rho Connection also receive the Chi Rho
      Reflection at the beginning of each week, featuring a
      reading from 'The Road to Emmaus' from that week.)

      *****

      ‘Jesus is Lord of All,’ a wonderful tape of Christian music
      by a talented group. Now remaindered at $5.00 each (a
      great buy!), plus shipping and handling.

      *****

      Please order on our secure shopping cart on our Web site at
      http://www.ChiRhoPress.com, using your credit card.

      5. The Fifth Step to Recovery from Bible Abuse

      (From Chapter 10 of 'Steps to Recovery from Bible
      Abuse,' by Dr. Rembert Truluck.)

      The Fifth Step: Avoid Negative People and Churches

      Listening to legalistic and abusive religious leaders can
      undercut and delay your recovery.

      Preparatory Bible Reading: Mark 7:1-23 and Colossians
      2:20-23.

      Paul said in all his letters ‘some things hard to
      understand, which the untaught [ignorant] and unstable
      distort [twist and torture] as they do also the rest of
      scriptures, to their own destruction. You therefore,
      beloved, knowing this beforehand, be on your guard lest,
      being carried away by the errors of unprincipled people,
      you fall away from your own steadfastness’ (2 Peter 3:16-17).

      Many people are startled to learn that this warning about
      ignorant and unprincipled people who distort and twist
      scripture is contained in the New Testament itself. For a
      person who has been abused and oppressed by legalistic and
      judgmental religion to continue to go to an abusive church
      or tune in to abusive religious broadcasters is like an
      alcoholic going to bars. Family pressures, long term
      religious conditioning from childhood, and a desire to
      ‘fit in’ can lead you into unhealthy religious situations.
      A friend recently told me that she grew up in a loving and
      healthy church where the pastor’s first words to every
      baptismal class were, ‘Beware of any church that tries to
      tell you how to think.’

      Use your brain. Think for yourself. Jesus did not say,
      ‘Follow the rules, follow Paul, follow the traditions,
      follow the priest or preacher, follow the church, or follow
      the Law.’ Jesus gave only one invitation to all people
      equally, ‘Follow me.’

      Resist the spiritual virus of legalism. Legalism is alien
      to the life and teachings of Jesus Christ. Legalism is
      spiritual antimatter that dissolves the love, patience,
      and acceptance that God intends you to have towards other
      people. Exposing yourself to legalistic religion is like
      exposing yourself to a deadly virus. It is a chance you
      do not want to take!

      *****

      The Fifth Step continues with Bible studies on How Jesus
      Defined Family, Spiritual Warfare, Stinking Thinking and
      Gay Bashing, and Free to Feel Good About Yourself.

      You may buy 'Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse' on the
      Chi Rho Press Web site, http://www.ChiRhoPress.com, using
      your credit card on our secure shopping cart.

      6. Upcoming Chi Rho Press Events

      Oct. 27, Chi Rho Press Board of Directors meeting, at the
      Director’s home in Montgomery Village, Maryland.

      Nov. 9 and 10, the Mid-Atlantic District Conference,
      Hagerstown, MD. Chi Rho Press will have a book table in
      the Conference Book Store, selling books, handouts,
      stained glass, videos and tapes, and other items.
      Visit www.mcc-midatl.org for more information.

      See Article # 3 about raffle tickets which be $1.00
      each, six for $5.00. Come join us in Hagerstown and
      say hello!

      Nov. 17, Chi Rho Press Board of Directors meeting.

      Nov. 25, Traveling Bookstore at Imago Dei MCC, Media, PA.
      www.imagodeimcc.org

      7. Opportunities to Participate in this Ministry

      Become an Angel On-line! You may make contributions
      to the ministry of Chi Rho Press on our Web site,
      http://www.ChiRhoPress.com. Don’t forget, contributions
      to the ministry of Chi Rho Press are fully tax deductible.

      To put tax deductible contributions on your credit card,
      using our secure shopping cart on our Web page, go to
      http://www.chirhopress.com/frame_sponsor.html.

      Highlight the numeral 1 in the box and type in the amount
      you want to contribute (for instance, $150 to become a
      Guardian Angel). Click the Add to Cart link to the right
      of the amount box and the Shopping Cart will come up
      and you can either continue shopping or click on Check Out
      Now, which will take you through the check out process,
      asking you for your credit card number, etc. Be sure to
      give us your mailing address as well as e-mail address so
      we can send you your welcome gifts.

      If you have specific questions about the Guardian Angel
      Program, you may e-mail us at Angels@...,
      or telephone us at 301/926-1208.

      *****

      New Promissory Notes are now available. The Chi Rho Press
      Board of Directors has authorized the issuance of new
      Promissory Notes. We have recently paid off the first four
      of the 17 Notes that are outstanding, and the Board feels it
      is timely to offer additional notes to continue our full
      capitalization program.

      As before, $1,000 Promissory Notes are available from
      Chi Rho Press, at 8% simple interest, repaid in eight
      quarterly payments over a two year period.

      Write Adam@... for the text of the Promissory
      Note, or send your check for $1,000 (or $2,000, $3,000,
      or even $5,000!). We will send a signed Note after the
      receipt of your check.

      *****

      Volunteers needed! Are you in the Washington DC
      metropolitan area? If so Chi Rho Press can always benefit
      from your volunteer time! Data entry, filing, general
      office work is always needed.

      You don’t live in the DC area? We also are looking for
      volunteer editors and graphic artists.

      Write the Office Manager at Kevin@....

      With this edition of the Chi Rho Connection, we are
      producing weekly editions through the end of the year.
      We hope to have short articles of interest as well as
      holiday tips and gift ideas for you.

      *****

      Speaking of gifts, we received the wonderful gift of a
      new scanner for our office. A very welcome addition to
      our growing collection of hardware! We are planning to
      be more active in the development and updating of our Web
      site, so this will be a huge help to us.

      *****

      I had a bit of an accident working with some stained glass
      last Sunday, a large sheet of glue chip glass (a kind of
      frosted clear glass) shattered as I was moving it to
      storage and cut a gash in my right hand under my thumb.
      It required stitches but didn’t cut a tendon just a lot
      of blood. I have been telling people at my secular job
      that I was doing research for my new novel, ‘Blood on the
      Stained Glass.’ <G> My hand is healing well, thanks to
      good doctors and lots of prayer!

      *****

      Kevin had a very successful trip to San Francisco for the
      Lambda Literary Festival last weekend. We give thanks for
      his safe return and productive visit. Kevin will write
      about this event in next week’s issue of the Chi Rho
      Connection.

      *****

      Rev. Dr. David Kerr Park, pastor of Open Door MCC, Boyds,
      MD, is working on a new edition of our annual Liturgical
      Calendar. David’s books were in storage following his
      move to Maryland from Florida this year. He is getting
      settled in his new home, with all his research books
      unpacked and arrayed around him, and David is making good
      progress on the Liturgical Calendar manuscript. We will
      be rushing it into print as soon as we have the final text
      from David. Please be patient!

      *****

      The Salvation Army Protest Cards are a big hit so far!
      We hope we have struck just the right note support for
      the good work the SA does, but dismay at their blatant
      attempt to subvert local and state civil rights legislation
      concerning LGBT people. I just can’t wait till I see the
      first bell ringer outside my neighborhood Giant Food Store,
      so I can start using my supply of cards!

      *****

      Our post office, the Shady Grove distribution center in
      Gaithersburg, MD, has taken on all the mail from the
      Brentwood center in DC which has been closed because of
      the anthrax mailings. Mail has been noticeably slower
      (and even non-existent a couple of days this week). We
      are taking steps to both protect ourselves and ensure
      that our mail goes out in a timely fashion. Most of our
      book shipments now go out on UPS. We tend to drop off
      mail at another facility. We look carefully at our
      incoming mail before opening it. The postal system used
      to be so safe, it is amazing how things have changed. We
      thought e-mail viruses were bad. But they only hurt our
      computers, not kill people.

      *****

      Halloween is next Wednesday. Be kind to the kids in your
      neighborhood. Make sure your kids are protected this year.

      Please don’t forget, All Hallow’s Eve (Halloween) is the
      night before All Saints Day (Nov. 1). Nov. 2 is All Souls
      Day. It is a perfect time to remember in prayer all the
      saints who have gone before us, and especially in this
      year, all those whose lives were so cruelly taken from us
      in acts of hate and terror. We particularly lift up the
      memories of those who have been killed as a result of the
      terrorist acts against the World Trade Center in New York,
      the Pentagon here in the Washington area, and on the plane
      that crashed in Pennsylvania.

      We pray for the postal workers and all others who have
      been infected by anthrax and whose lives have been
      affected by senseless terrorism through the post. We lift
      up all those who are victims of radical fundamentalism,
      regardless of the religious basis for that rabid
      fundamentalism, whether it is of Islam, Judaism, or
      Christianity. Too often homophobia is nourished in
      radical fundamentalism, so we know all too well the pain
      of right-wing religious extremism. We pray for the
      victims, all the Saints whose lives have been taken.

      That’s all for this week! Have a blessed weekend and a
      wonderful week.

      If you've received the Chi Rho Connection as a result of the
      good offices of someone passing it along to you (which
      we certainly encourage) and would like to receive it
      directly from us, please follow the directions at the
      end of this Connection to subscribe.

      To order, please visit http://www.ChiRhoPress.com. You
      may pay by credit card on our web page or we will ship
      order. Include your e-mail address, mailing address,
      and telephone number please.

      If you have questions, please write to
      Question@....

      For comments and suggestions
      about this eNewsletter, please write
      Connection@....

      To learn about our Guardian
      Angel Individual Sponsor Program, please write
      Angels@....

      For all other correspondence,
      please write Adam@....

      friends can order using credit cards on our Web page or
      through our Canadian distributor, MAP Enterprises, Mary
      Ann Pearson, at her new Web page,
      http://www.christiangays.com.

      Kevin Stone Fries, Editor/Office Manager,
      Kevin@....