Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of May 26, 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , May 27, 2013
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of May 26, 2013

      The Golden Rule

      "In everything do to others as you would have them do
      to you; for this is the law and the prophets."
      Matthew 7:12

      Today's scripture is known as the Golden Rule. Treat
      others the way we would wish to be treated. As a
      Jewish rabbi and teacher, Jesus was well acquainted
      with scriptural Jewish Law and the Prophets. I am
      deeply grateful for this summary of the Old Testament,
      which are often called the Jewish or Hebrew Scriptures.

      The Bible is a very large collection of writings that
      literally span thousands of years. Some writings are
      extremely difficult to understand. Some ancient laws
      seem culturally irrelevant and the context is not always
      clear. Spiritual revelation is progressive. Our ongoing
      challenge is to determine what is culturally relevant and
      universal for our contemporary society.

      For instance, some of the Levitical laws which
      prohibited eating certain foods, wearing certain
      fabrics, having tattoos, and numerous other restrictions
      are not appropriate for all of us today. The early
      writers were patriarchal and many practiced polygamy.
      Women had little voice and were often treated as
      property. As a twenty-first century North American
      woman in a monogamous relationship, those ancient
      practices have no relevance for me. Those teachings
      are not universal.

      But I am suggesting the Golden Rule is timeless. It is
      worth passing on to the next generation. It can change
      the world. Most importantly, it can change us. Yes,
      this is easier said than done. But the Golden Rule is
      worth a lifetime of practice. We reap what we sow. So
      treat others with respect, dignity, charity, grace, and
      a bit of humor. When in doubt, err on the side of
      kindness and mercy. Treat others better than how they
      treat you. And ask God for frequent help along the
      journey.

      God, how have I been treating others? Help me live this
      Golden Rule. Let this be engraved in all our hearts.