Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of May 12, 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , May 12, 2013
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of May 12, 2013

      Temptation prayers
      "And do not bring us to the time of trial, but rescue
      us from the evil one."
      Matthew 6:13

      Sometimes the Bible is difficult to understand. It
      seems full of contradictions. Why would God tempt
      anyone? F. F. Bruce notes that this request is very
      similar to the Jewish service of morning and evening
      prayer, "Do not bring us into the power of temptation."
      It is important to remember that "God cannot be tempted
      with evil and tempts no one" (James 1:13 NIV). Yet James
      writes that we are blessed when we endure temptation and
      the testing of our faith produces steadfastness (James
      1:2, 12).

      The apostle Paul encourages us with the reminder that,
      "No testing has overtaken you that is not common to
      everyone. God is faithful and will not let you be tested
      beyond your strength. But with the testing God will also
      provide the way out so that you may be able to endure it"
      (1 Corinthians 10:13, The New Testament and Psalms: An
      Inclusive Version).

      A fifth-century Eastern Liturgy of St. James, recites this
      after the Lord's Prayer:

      Yes, O Lord our God, lead us not into temptation which we
      are not able to bear, but with the temptation grant also
      the way out, so that we may be able to remain steadfast;
      and deliver us from evil.

      I have often jokingly said, "And lead me not into
      temptation, for I can get there by myself, thank you very
      much!" Be aware today of what entices you into evil. If
      possible, avoid it.

      God, lead us not into temptation and deliver us from the
      evil one. Amen.