Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of May 5, 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , May 4 5:12 PM
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of May 5, 2013

      Righteous acts

      Jesus said, "Beware of practising your piety before
      others in order to be seen by them; for then you have
      no reward from your Parent in heaven. So whenever you
      give alms, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the
      hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets,
      so that they may be praised by others. Truly I tell
      you, they have received their reward. But when you
      give alms, do not let your left hand know what your
      right hand is doing, so that your alms may be done
      in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will
      reward you."
      Matthew 6:1-4

      Jesus explains clearly that to give, to pray, and to
      fast are "acts of righteousness" (Matthew 6:2-4, 5-15,
      16-18). Another translation interprets "acts of
      righteousness" to mean to practice your piety.
      Reading a variety of translations is helpful for
      additional insights.

      Jesus is simply telling us not to brag about our
      charitable almsgiving or our acts of kindness and
      mercy. I sometimes forget there will be a heavenly
      reward waiting with my name on it. And my humanness
      deeply appreciates being publicly acknowledged for
      good that I have done. We all need moments of
      affirmation in our lives, but when we do brag and
      strut about our piety we lose our heavenly reward.

      It is very easy to become a religious hypocrite.
      Rather than quietly do good from the heart, it is
      extremely tempting to do good in order to receive
      public recognition. We may not even know we are doing
      this. Our dear heavenly Parent knows what we are doing
      even when others do not. And so, we are to wait
      patiently for that day of heavenly reward. Every act
      of kindness, every charitable act, every time we
      quietly give of our abundance, God sees and remembers.
      We do not need to sound our own trumpet.

      Oh God, help us not be religious hypocrites! And if
      we are, help us change into gracious, humble, quiet
      doers of good and charitable acts. Amen.