Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of April 28, 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 28, 2013
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of April 28, 2013

      Religious legalism or the teachings of Jesus?

      "Therefore, whoever breaks one of the least of
      these commandments, and teaches others to do the
      same, will be called least in the kingdom of
      heaven; but whoever does them and teaches them
      will be called great in the kingdom of heaven."
      Matthew 5:19

      Moses offered many rules, regulations, and
      restrictions that were unique to his time in
      world history, and his specific religion. Not
      all of his teachings are applicable for everyone
      today. Christians believe Jesus is the
      fulfillment of all the Old Testament Law as
      taught by Moses. In Jesus, we are offered
      spiritual freedom from the law. Through him, we
      are invited into lives of grace and truth. God's
      truth is found through the teachings of Jesus Christ.

      Many modern people are unacquainted with the
      teachings and stories in the Hebrew (or Old)
      Testament. The Hebrew Testament is worthy of
      great respect as sacred literature. The majority
      of Biblical scholars believe Moses authored the
      first five books in the Bible thousands of years
      ago. Jewish people refer to these as Torah, the
      Law. Moses brings us an ancient, patriarchal,
      religious understanding based on what he
      understood to be divine law. There are some very
      broad universal principles such as the Ten
      Commandments (Exodus 20:1-17), which are empowering
      and life giving even today.

      Jesus was a spiritual revolutionary from the very
      beginning of his ministry. His radical teachings
      about God did not endear him to the
      ecclesiastical leaders of his day who revered
      their cherished religious laws, traditions, and
      commandments. Rather than burden people with
      impossible legalistic religious traditions and
      rules and regulations, Jesus encouraged people to
      live the spirit of the Beatitudes in his Sermon on
      the Mount.

      The Sermon on the Mount provides timeless
      guidance for seekers yearning for spiritual
      greatness and freedom from religious legalism
      even today. Your life will never be the same if
      you practice what Jesus teaches in these empowering
      words for life.

      Give us the courage to identify areas of
      religious legalism in our own lives, God. Give
      us the courage and wisdom to change as we strive
      to live the commands of Jesus – one day at a time.