Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of April 21, 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 22 1:24 PM
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of April 21, 2013

      Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for
      righteousness

      "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for
      righteousness, for they will be filled. … Blessed
      are those who are persecuted for righteousness'
      sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."
      Matthew 5:6, 10

      Righteousness is not a popularly used expression
      among the people I live and work with. It often
      carries a negative connotation. Frequently we
      hear it used as criticism, "Oh don't be so smug
      and righteous!" It is often associated with
      hypocritical, legalistic, religiously judgmental
      attitudes towards life and people.

      Yet the Biblical word is worth reclaiming.
      Righteousness is a positive attribute of God. We
      too, are to be righteous and just. We are to be
      faithful and truthful. This is pleasing to God
      and is not burdensome. Righteousness condemns
      evil. Jesus often uses this word throughout the
      Gospels as a good attribute that conforms us
      positively to the will of God.

      It can be helpful to use other English Bible
      translations for added insights for our spiritual
      readings. I feel blessed with the Amplified
      Bible's interpretation with this verse, "Blessed
      and fortunate and happy and spiritually
      prosperous (in that state in which the born-again
      child of God enjoys [God's] favor and salvation)
      are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness
      (uprightness and right standing with God), for
      they shall be completely satisfied." I need to
      hear this, for I had read ahead and discovered to
      my dismay that those who hunger and thirst for
      righteousness will experience persecution! This
      persecution is considered a spiritual blessing.

      Righteousness is used three times in this
      chapter, in verses 6, 10, and 20. Meditate on
      both the positive and negative sense of the
      word. Watch how Jesus uses it. Righteousness is
      a blessing from God, but will bring us persecution.
      If we are not careful, we can become hypocritical,
      negative and legalistic, judgmental religious
      hypocrites.

      God, dare I ask for you to fill me with a sense
      of your holy righteousness? Will you bless me
      with an ongoing awareness of righteousness
      through the life of Jesus? Will you help me not
      be a negative, pompous, and legalistic religious
      hypocrite? Protect me from a "holier than thou"
      attitude. Let my righteousness be a blessing for
      many. That is the best I can pray today. Amen.

      order using our convenient secure shopping cart
      and pay on line using your credit card!
      http://www.ChiRhoPress.com