Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of April 7, 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 7, 2013
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of April 7, 2013

      Temptation and fasting

      "Jesus fasted for forty days and forty nights, and
      afterwards he was famished."
      Matthew 4:2

      The pastor of St. Michael's Church of Hamburg, Germany,
      Helmut Thielicke reminds us that Christ experienced
      severe hunger, his stomach growled (Quoted in Blackmore,
      James H. "Reflections on the Temptations of Christ," p.
      14). His intestines were twisted into knots, his abdomen
      became bloated, and his head throbbed with pain. Jesus
      Christ felt weak and faint. This was an extreme situation.
      Jesus was famished. He was extremely vulnerable to
      temptation in this physical state of weakness.

      We have much to learn about prayer and fasting. We know
      that going without food for forty days and forty nights
      is medically dangerous. Fasting for forty days is not
      safe and I do not recommended it. At the same time,
      Jesus teaches that fasting is part of spiritual life.
      In just a page or two, Jesus assumes we will fast (Matthew
      6:16-18) and teaches his disciples how to fast in
      moderation. There are times and seasons in our lives
      when we need fasting for spiritual growth, maturing,
      and discernment.

      Many in the world do not have the luxury of going to bed
      with a full stomach. Jesus identifies fully with those
      without adequate daily food. He hungered. He was
      actually starving. Consider scheduling a prayer fast
      for the spiritual experience of identifying with those
      who hunger. If you are under a physician's care, ask
      your doctor if fasting would affect your health. Missing
      one meal a month for prayer purposes is a realistic place
      to start. List special concerns for prayer. Select
      scriptures or special readings in advance. If possible,
      plan on a specific place for your prayer. Put it on
      your calendar. It will transform your prayer life.
      Fasting and prayer refines our faith, strengthens and
      matures us. It helps us identify with those who are
      actually famished and in desperate need.

      God, bring your compassion on those who hunger physically
      and spiritually this day. Amen.