Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of March 31, 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2013
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of March 31, 2013

      May God continue to bless us

      "To the leader: with stringed instruments. A Psalm.
      A Song.
      May God be gracious to us and bless us
      and make his face to shine upon us,
      that your way may be known upon earth,
      your saving power among all nations.
      Let the peoples praise you, O God;
      let all the peoples praise you.

      Let the nations be glad and sing for joy,
      for you judge the peoples with equity
      and guide the nations upon earth.

      Let the peoples praise you, O God;
      let all the peoples praise you.

      The earth has yielded its increase;
      God, our God, has blessed us.
      May God continue to bless us;
      let all the ends of the earth revere him."
      Psalm 67

      I once had the privilege of facilitating a virtual
      book study-retreat over a ten-week period. It was
      a closed group experience dedicated to female sexual
      minority Christians, seekers, skeptics, and doubters.
      It was an outreach ministry that lovingly respected,
      accepted, and affirmed all people in the Christian
      faith with an attitude of hospitality, sanctuary,
      and generosity. The majority of participants were
      lesbians, although a number of women identified as
      bisexual. Everyone was welcomed. There was always
      room for one more in the study. Through the power
      of the Internet, we gathered in virtual community
      from several continents. We chose to study the
      late Henri Nouwen's book, "Life of the Beloved:
      Spiritual Living in a Secular World."

      It quickly became apparent that some struggled to
      accept their belovedness in God, for so often the
      messages of their societies, families, and churches
      had been extremely negative. As the weeks continued,
      We lingered in "The Book," as it came to be called.
      We discussed what it meant to be chosen, broken, blessed,
      and sent into the world as the Beloved. Every week I
      would post a summary of the reading and closed with a
      brief written prayer.

      One of our favorite breath prayers came from the word,
      "beloved." Sometimes people would use "beloved" as their
      centering word for the day's prayer. At other times, we
      prayed it as two words, "be loved." The power of
      belovedness graced each woman. Lives were transformed,
      faith was strengthened and explored, and all were helped.
      Some were able to reconcile their sexuality and
      spirituality with humor and peace of mind. Deep blessing,
      caring, and nurture characterized the entire experience.

      Today's psalm reminds me of that wonderful international
      virtual beloved community. May this psalm be our blessing
      prayer for readers of all sexual orientations. May God
      continue to bless us one day at a time. Live as God's
      beloved. Be loved all the days of your lives.

      God, help us be a blessing to our families, friends,
      work colleagues, neighbors, and even our enemies. Amen.