Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of February 17, 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 16, 2013
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of February 17, 2013

      Peaceful moments

      "When it was evening on that day, the first day of the
      week, and the doors of the house where the disciples
      had met were locked for fear of the Jews, Jesus came
      and stood among them and said, 'Peace be with you.'"
      John 20:19a

      Listen to your body. Breathe. Sit. Feel. Listen.
      Relax. If you do this every day, you will experience
      amazing inner wellness and self-improvement. Consider
      a small smile while breathing.

      Thich Nhat Hanh is a remarkable Vietnamese Buddhist monk
      who was recommended for the Nobel Peace Prize years ago
      by the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Thich Nhat Hanh
      modeled great spiritual leadership for us through his
      refusal to take sides during the Vietnam War. His
      inaction lead to his own exile, but he worked diligently
      to bring peace by teaching people how to "be peace"
      (Hanh, Thich Nhat. "The Long Road Turns to Joy: A Guide
      to Walking Meditation," p. 9) to all they encountered.
      He suggests we look at our neighbors and smile gently at
      one another. Smile your peace at friends and strangers
      while breathing gently in a relaxed manner. You will be
      tremendously empowered.

      Be careful how you use this breathing meditation. It
      will change your life and the lives of others. Try it
      for thirty seconds to two minutes daily. These moments
      can be costly, however, as they were for Thich Nhat Hanh.
      Peaceful moments are within us, but others may not be
      receptive to our non-violent smiling. Know that the
      benefits of peaceful moments are worth the cost.

      Be spiritually empowered. Smile peacefully at all you
      meet today, including your enemies.

      God, teach us to smile peacefully today. Amen.