Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of February 3, 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2013
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of February 3, 2013

      The best prayers

      "Why, O Lord, do you stand far off? Why do you
      hide yourself in times of trouble?"
      Psalm 10:1

      "The best prayers have often more groans than words."
      ~ John Bunyan (Bunyan, John. From his 1662 sermon,
      "I Will Pray With The Spirit … A Discourse Touching
      Prayer.")

      The question most frequently asked me as a
      minister and chaplain is this, "Would you teach
      me how to pray?" This seems to be a universal
      heart cry from people of all sexual orientations.
      I have heard this again and again, while on U.S. Navy
      ships, in inner-city hospices and hospital emergency
      rooms, as well as in prisons. Perhaps this is why we
      are seeing such a proliferation of Internet prayer
      chapels and prayer ministries. People have
      universally struggled for words to connect with the
      divine, wondering if God hears or cares. Often we
      do not know how to pray for ourselves, those we love,
      our enemies, and the world we live in.

      Please be encouraged and reclaim your prayer
      birthright. Our common spiritual heritage is
      prayer. Through the cries of our hearts and the
      groaning of our innermost being, we can experience
      God's loving heartbeat. Prayer, as I understand it,
      is simply conversation with God through a tender and
      intimate relationship. Sometimes our feelings are
      just too deep for words. Prayer is as simple as
      breathing our feelings to God!

      Other times written prayers can be spiritually
      empowering. They have stood the test of time for
      good reason. The Gospel stories are a good place
      to begin learning about prayer, especially if we
      have experienced toxic and abusive religion and
      Bible concussions. Jesus spoke against such
      spiritual injustice and brought a new and
      revolutionary understanding of what God's reign
      on earth can look like. We find this summed up
      in the revolutionary Lord's Prayer located in two
      Gospels (Matthew 6:9-13 and Luke 11:1-4).

      The most important heart cry to God might be,
      "teach me to pray!" Consider reclaiming the
      Lord's Prayer from meaningless repetition to
      meaningful repetition. The Lord's Prayer can
      change the world, cause spiritual and physical
      revolutions, transform lives, bring hope, and
      usher in the Reign of God. Its boldness can also
      change us. There is a reason why John Wesley
      cried out, "O give me that book! At any price,
      give me the book of God!" (Quoted in Job, Rueben
      P. and Norman Shawchuck. "A Guide to Prayer for
      Ministers and Other Servants," p. 34.)

      God, teach us to pray. Amen.