Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of January 27, 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2013
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of January 27, 2013

      **********

      Have you gotten your new MCC Liturgical Calendar for Year
      C, November 2012 through November 2013? It is available
      on the Chi Rho Press Web site at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCal_12_13.html.

      Please order your copies now.

      Please feel free to forward this to your pastors,
      other clergy, music directors, worship teams, and
      anyone else you think would benefit from it.

      Encouragement

      "Our God opens the eyes of the blind. God lifts up
      those who are bowed down; God loves the righteous."
      Psalm 146:8b

      Several years ago I enjoyed a brisk, invigorating
      morning run with a dear friend and her puppy. The
      sunrise was glorious. A dusting of snow lay on the
      ground. It was her birthday. "Yes," she said,
      "somehow I'm just not real excited about this year
      or my birthday. It's been difficult. I've been
      surviving. This year can only be an improvement."
      Surviving is a good thing. Her world turned upside
      down when someone outed her as a lesbian. The past
      year had been horrific with loss of income, retirement
      benefits, and economic security.

      Others I know struggle to simply survive with illnesses
      such as AIDS and breast cancer. For many it has been a
      time of multiple losses. Another friend wrote a letter,
      saying, "If you want a happy New Year, stop reading here."
      My friend went on to describe the year's losses of home,
      job, a beloved partner's deteriorating health due to AIDS,
      and the death of a parent. He ended his letter saying,
      "I know God is in this somehow. I am simply trying to
      survive."

      My beloved grandmother outlived all her children. She
      also attended the funerals of many of her family members
      and friends. Her husband suffered over a dozen strokes
      and she nursed him devotedly around the clock for years.
      Every day she would say, "One day at a time, dear Lord,
      one day at a time." Every night she would sit on Grandpa's
      bed and hold his hand. The strokes had taken his speech
      away, so Grandma prayed aloud for both of them. She would
      pray for those gone and those remaining. She prayed for
      her friends and family, thanked the good Lord for getting
      her through one more day, prayed for the church and
      missionaries around the world, gave thanks for the day's
      food, shelter, health, and medicine. She was a great
      woman of faith and courage. She knew how to bow down
      before God with her burdens. And God always lifted her up.

      So whatever your circumstances, please be encouraged.
      God sees. God cares. God will help you one day at a
      time. God will help you one moment at a time when the
      day feels overwhelming.

      One day at a time, dear Lord, one day at a time. Bless
      us with faith, hope, joy, courage, endurance, and love.
      Help us keep looking up. Amen.