Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of January 20, 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 25, 2013
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of January 20, 2013

      Have you gotten your new MCC Liturgical Calendar for
      Year C, November 2012 through November 2013? It is
      available on the Chi Rho Press Web site at

      Please order your copies now.

      Please feel free to forward this to your pastors,
      other clergy, music directors, worship teams, and
      anyone else you think would benefit from it.

      The beatitudes of holy leisure

      "Be still, and know that I am God! I am exalted among
      the nations, I am exalted in the earth."
      Psalm 46:10a

      Time is a precious four-letter word. We never seem to
      have enough of it in our busy lives for personal moments
      of holy leisure. We often refer to time as "slipping
      through our fingers." Sometimes we "waste or kill
      time." Then we try to "buy" and/or "recapture time."
      We frequently "run out of time." Periodically we take
      "time-outs" to review our strategy. We rush about with
      things to do, places to go, and people to see.
      Participants in North American culture worship activity
      and denigrate stillness, rest, and moments of holy

      One very busy mother of two teenagers came to me years
      ago with such a need. She could not seem to find a
      moment to catch her breath. She began scheduling thirty
      seconds a day of stillness and quiet and eventually
      achieved several minutes a day. God, she said, began
      meeting her with moments of quiet refreshment. Once
      she even found herself quietly at rest for twenty
      minutes. She was surprised and delighted with God's
      quiet presence.

      A very busy man once invited me to facilitate a retreat
      for a very busy church full of young families and
      youngsters. The retreat theme was holy leisure:
      spirituality for daily life. The retreat schedule
      had hourly and sometimes multiple concurrent events.
      We had a wonderful time. There was something for
      everyone of every age. Holy leisure was a luxury many
      of those tired parents did not have at home. Childcare
      was provided at the retreat, so tired parents who needed
      a nap could rest without worry. Sleep, stillness, and
      moments of quiet are truly sacred. Our souls will be
      restored with these simple practices.

      After the retreat, I found myself reflecting in more
      depth on holy leisure. We need to be still and rest,
      if even for two minutes a day. So I wrote the following
      beatitudes of holy leisure, modeled after Jesus' Sermon
      on the Mount (Matthew 5:1-11).

      Blessed are those who live daily moments of holy leisure,
      for they shall be refreshed in God.

      Blessed are those who linger with God, for they shall
      experience a profound sense of God's blessing.

      Blessed are those who carry the chapel of their hearts
      everywhere, for they shall know God is nearer than their
      breathing, closer than their hands and feet.

      Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for holy leisure,
      for they shall experience Sabbath rest.

      Blessed are those who seek wonder-filled moments with God,
      for they shall be satisfied.

      Blessed are those who insist on moments of stillness, for
      they shall find ordinary life beautiful.

      Blessed are they whose hearts yearn for stillness, for
      they shall know God.

      Blessed are the contemplatives, for they shall be
      instruments of peace in a troubled world.

      Blessed are those who are ridiculed for their insistence
      on holy leisure, for they shall be friends with God.

      Blessed are those who experience "noisy contemplation"
      (Callahan, William R. "Noisy Contemplation, Deep Prayer
      for Busy People," p. 1), for they shall see people with
      new eyes and hearts.

      Blessed are they who seek thirty seconds daily of stillness,
      silence, and solitude, for they shall be fulfilled in their

      The following year I was invited to return as a retreat
      leader for this very busy church community of faith. The
      retreat planning committee unanimously agreed they wanted
      a less busy and exhausting retreat. Together we decided
      less was best and planned a very different retreat
      experience. Ample time was provided for retreat
      participants to rest, relax, nap, and quietly enjoy
      nature and leisured beloved community.

      God, bless us with many unexpected moments of holy leisure.