Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of December 30, 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2012
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of December 30, 2012

      **********
      HAPPY NEW YEAR!

      The 30th was the last Sunday in 2012. Have you gotten
      your new MCC Liturgical Calendar for Year C, November
      2012 through November 2013? It is available on the Chi
      Rho Press Web site at http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCal_12_13.html.

      Please order your copies now.

      Please feel free to forward this to your pastors,
      other clergy, music directors, worship teams, and
      anyone else you think would benefit from it.

      Here is the link to the Liturgical Calendar:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCal_12_13.html

      Spiritual insight and priorities

      "When Jesus' parents saw him they were astonished;
      and his mother said to him, 'Child, why have you
      treated us like this? Look, your father and I have
      been searching for you in great anxiety.' He said
      to them, 'Why were you searching for me? Did you
      not know that I must be in my Father's house?' But
      they did not understand what he said to them."
      Luke 2:48-50

      At age twelve, Jesus already had established some
      of his spiritual priorities. His love for God's
      house was profound. He was already spiritually
      mature. As a preteen, Jesus had a tender, intimate,
      loving, and trusting name for God that most of his
      peers and certainly his parents did not use. His
      prayer life was radical. Jesus believed in prayer
      and having special places to worship and pray.

      Jesus grew up in a religious atmosphere. He enjoyed
      regular worship in the local synagogue including
      periodic pilgrimages to Jerusalem. He grew up with
      a distinct rhythm of daily worship and hours of prayer.
      These influenced him as he grew into manhood. From
      birth, Jesus was taught the Torah (the first five
      books in the Hebrew Testament). As a child, he was
      taught to memorize many Old Testament prayers.
      Regular worship habits were part of his society and
      culture. The memory and oral traditions were engraved
      in his heart.

      As a Jewish son, his religious education began at birth.
      It began in the home before he was introduced to formal
      teaching. It was seen and heard, before book learning.
      Jewish parents had very high regard for their children.
      The relationship with the father and mother is intimate
      and tender. The fifth commandment is to honor our
      parents. Jesus did that. When his worried parents
      found him in the temple, he obediently came home with
      them.

      The New Testament reminds us that we are positively
      influenced by a knowledge of Holy Scripture (2 Timothy
      1:5; 3:15). Sacred words are empowering when taken in
      context. Consider reading the Bible from cover to cover.
      It is a big book and takes some time and discipline.
      The Bible is full of wonderful words of life. Like
      Jesus, consider visiting a local place of worship.
      Find one that welcomes and affirms you as a valued,
      precious, child of God. Consider praying a tender,
      intimate, loving name for God. Your life will never
      again be the same.

      Teach your children about God through the Jesus stories,
      and they too, will be empowered.

      God, help us seek and find you, while learning to love
      your houses of worship. Amen.