Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of December 23, 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 22, 2012
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of December 23, 2012

      Today is the last Sunday in Advent. Have you gotten
      your new MCC Liturgical Calendar for Year C, November
      2012 through November 2013? It is available on the
      Chi Rho Press Web site at

      Please order your copies now.

      Please feel free to forward this to your pastors,
      other clergy, music directors, worship teams, and
      anyone else you think would benefit from it.

      Here is the link to the Liturgical Calendar:

      The census

      "In those days a decree went out from Emperor Augustus
      that all the world should be registered. This was the
      first registration and was taken while Quirinius was
      governor of Syria. All went to their own towns to be
      registered. Joseph also went from the town of Nazareth
      in Galilee to Judea, to the city of David called
      Bethlehem, because he was descended from the house and
      family of David."
      Luke 2:1-4

      The U.S. government recently completed a national census.
      Many gay and lesbian-affirming Christian churches even
      preached on the vital need to be seen, heard, counted,
      and identified in order to change the many unjust, cruel,
      and homophobic laws that promote bigotry and deny sexual
      minorities basic human rights. Some citizens received
      different forms in the mail for the census, asking for
      very personal information. Other people angrily refused
      to answer the census based on their distrust of the
      government and their desire for privacy. The government
      hired temporary employees to go door to door, to find
      citizens who had refused to answer the census. Those
      people refusing to cooperate were issued financial fines.

      The census Joseph experienced in first century Israel was
      a much different experience. He had no choice but to
      travel an arduous and dangerous road to his hometown to
      register. There was no other alternative but to bring
      Mary, who was almost nine months pregnant and ready to
      give birth. Joseph obeyed the Roman census law. The
      consequences were severe for those refusing to cooperate.
      The Roman government did not make exceptions for hardship
      cases among the peasant class.

      Joseph's obedience to civil law fulfilled ancient prophecy.
      Bethlehem was both the town where King David was born (1
      Samuel 17:12; 20:6), and it was where the ancient prophets
      expected the long awaited Messiah to be born. "But you,
      Bethlehem of Ephrathah, who are one of the little clans
      of Judah, from you shall come forth for me one who is to
      rule in Israel, whose origin is from old, from ancient
      days" (Micah 5:2, NRSV).

      Remember that God has already counted and included each
      of us as dearly loved people. Let us prepare for Christmas
      with joyful celebration, secure in knowing we are valued,
      precious, cherished, and beloved in God's sight.

      God, not only have you counted us by name, but you even
      know our deepest concerns and needs. Thank you for being
      so wonderful and loving. Amen.