Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of December 16, 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 15, 2012
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of December 16, 2012

      **********

      Today is the First Sunday in Advent. Have you gotten
      your new MCC Liturgical Calendar for Year C, November
      2012 through November 2013? It is available on the
      Chi Rho Press Web site at http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCal_12_13.html.

      Please order your copies now.

      Please feel free to forward this to your pastors,
      other clergy, music directors, worship teams, and
      anyone else you think would benefit from it.

      Here is the link to the Liturgical Calendar:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCal_12_13.html

      Keep looking up

      Jesus taught, "Be on guard so that your hearts are
      not weighed down with dissipation and drunkenness
      and the worries of this life, and that day does not
      catch you unexpectedly, like a trap. For it will
      come upon all who live on the face of the whole
      earth."
      Luke 21:34-35

      Each season of Advent is a reminder for Christians
      to wake up spiritually and be alert for the Second
      Coming of Christ. The Bible tells us that some day
      he will return to earth. Dramatic and terrifying
      signs, as some believe, will mark the end times.
      Everyone will see these signs. The sun, moon,
      stars, and tides will be deeply affected. The
      world will be convulsed. There will be worldwide
      political, social, and physical upheavals. There
      will be much terror, anguish, and dismay. Heaven
      will shake and we are told that fire will destroy
      the earth. Jesus' return will be marked with power,
      glory, brilliance, majesty, holiness, and love.

      The Christian can respond to these events with joy
      and courage. We are to stand up and lift our heads
      high. Jesus will return for us. Until that day,
      we are to guard our heart with God's values of
      holiness and godliness. We are to live honorably,
      without carousing, drunkenness, and debauchery,
      while avoiding jealousy and fighting. The Bible
      reminds us to constantly be on our guard and give
      our anxieties and worries to God.

      When this Second Advent occurs, we need to pray for
      exceptional strength and endurance for our loved ones
      and ourselves. So live in a state of daily readiness.
      The babe in a manger will someday return in power and
      glory.

      Will we be ready and waiting for him? My beloved
      grandmother had a favorite saying. She would often
      say, "Keep looking up. Jesus is coming. Maybe even
      today."

      Help us be ready and live alertly for that day, dear
      God. Amen.