Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of December 9, 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 9, 2012
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of December 9, 2012

      **********

      Today is the First Sunday in Advent. Have you gotten
      your new MCC Liturgical Calendar for Year C, November
      2012 through November 2013? It is available on the
      Chi Rho Press Web site at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCal_12_13.html.

      Please order your copies now.

      Please feel free to forward this to your pastors,
      other clergy, music directors, worship teams, and
      anyone else you think would benefit from it.

      Here is the link to the Liturgical Calendar:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCal_12_13.html

      Always pray for more love

      "And this is my prayer, that your love may overflow
      more and more with knowledge and full insight to
      help you to determine what is best, so that on the
      day of Christ you may be pure and blameless, having
      produced the harvest of righteousness that comes
      through Jesus Christ for the glory and praise of
      God."

      Philippians 1:9-11

      Whenever in doubt about how to pray, always pray
      for more love. The world needs it and so do we.
      Our loving prayers are the greatest gift we can
      give another person.

      Today's verses are a prayer written in prison by the
      apostle Paul for his cherished friends. His prayer
      continues to offer many insights centuries later.
      Praying for others is hard work and quite frankly,
      sometimes we struggle for words. If you are like
      me, there are times when I do not know how to pray
      for someone about whom I care deeply.

      With Christmas fast approaching, consider a prayerful
      experiment with Paul's prayer. Pray this prayer for
      everyone on your Christmas card and shopping list as
      your secret gift. Trust me in this. Your life will
      never be the same and you will experience a more
      fulfilling Christmas season. Your prayer just might
      be the best Christmas gift your friends will ever
      receive.

      How does Paul pray for his friends? He prays for
      their love to abound, flourish, and overflow in
      growing knowledge and discernment, wisdom and purity.
      As a loving friend and spiritual teacher, he asks
      God to help his friends every day of their lives,
      until the day of Jesus Christ's return. Paul
      concludes his prayer by confidently requesting God
      to motivate his friends to bring loving justice and
      righteousness to the world. He knew their lifestyles
      of loving activism and devotion would bring great
      glory and praise to God. This is holy boldness at
      its best.

      Gay or straight, young or old, male or female, we are
      created to praise God through our lives. So consider
      using this prayer for your own use as well. But pray
      it with great care. It is revolutionary and radical,
      with the potential to change the world. This is the
      kind of prayer that could heal racism and homophobia,
      poverty and world hunger. It could heal broken
      relationships and bring reconciliation to both
      individuals and nations. A prayer like this could
      help us experience the mind and heart of Christ.

      God's love in our lives is the most powerful life
      force on earth. It is a love that can motivate us
      to live heroic lives, to overthrow injustice, and
      overcome impossible odds, while living sacrificially
      for the greater good of others and the world.

      May your love abound and flourish daily. May your
      love be a source of blessing for the world, while
      transforming and energizing your own life and the
      lives of others.

      Wise and loving God, I pray for more love in my own
      life as well as for my friends. I want your loving
      wisdom to characterize my life and guide my steps.
      I want your love to influence all my decision making
      and to empower my desire to see justice served without
      partiality. May you be praised and honored as I strive
      to live a lover's life with your help. Amen.