Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of December 2, 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2012
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of December 2, 2012

      **********

      Today is the First Sunday in Advent. Have you gotten
      your new MCC Liturgical Calendar for Year C, November
      2012 through November 2013? It is available on the
      Chi Rho Press Web site at http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCal_12_13.html.

      Please order your copies now.

      Please feel free to forward this to your pastors,
      other clergy, music directors, worship teams, and
      anyone else you think would benefit from it.

      Here is the link to the Liturgical Calendar:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCal_12_13.html

      Choose your companions carefully

      "Whoever walks with the wise becomes wise, but the
      companion of fools suffers harm."
      Proverbs 13:20

      Many scripture readers overlook the book of Proverbs
      to their detriment. These pithy Middle Eastern sayings
      of wisdom are refreshingly timeless. It does not matter
      if we are gay or straight, young or old, male or female.
      There is something for everyone in the wisdom of these
      teachings.

      Today's proverb reminds us friends have great influence
      in our lives. We must choose our companions carefully.
      If we walk with the wise, we will become wise. Fools
      on the other hand, will eventually come to harm.

      What is a fool? Fools are people who have little to no
      judgment or common sense. Perhaps they act in rash and
      reckless ways, without good sense or wisdom. A fool's
      paradise is always a deceptive happiness based on
      illusions.

      We jokingly speak of God watching over children and
      fools. But if our companions are foolish, sooner or
      later, they will bring us to harm through their
      irresponsible behavior and life choices. Actions have
      consequences. Only fools go where the prudent and
      intelligent fear to tread.

      I remember one family whose youngest child drifted into
      the influence of foolish friends. Through the friends'
      foolish peer influence, their son dropped out of high
      school and became involved with drugs and alcohol.
      Before he knew it, the impressionable teenager was
      selling drugs to support his growing drug and alcohol
      addiction. Many of his friends stole from their own
      parents to support their drug habits. As a drug dealer,
      this young man hanged out with a rough crowd and thought
      he was invincible.

      Reality eventually caught up with him. He was beaten
      and left for dead in a drug deal that went badly. His
      life went downhill from there. By his thirties, he was
      sleeping on a couch in a gas station. His foolish friends
      were always ready to party, but none encouraged him to
      face his problems and turn his life around.

      Through God's grace, he met someone who saw his potential
      even when he hit rock bottom. With this person's
      encouragement and friendship, he now has a job, makes
      an honest wage, owns a modest home, has a lover and a
      bright drug-free future.

      I had a memorable conversation with him on his fortieth
      birthday. By this time, the majority of his former
      friends were either in prison or dead. He felt lucky
      to be alive and regretted those wasted years. He now
      chooses his friends with great care and strives to make
      every day a fresh start.

      Many people come to misfortune and grief through foolish
      friends. They care not for your welfare or best interests.
      Their thoughtless risk-taking can bring you into harm's
      way. So choose your friends with care. Search for wise
      friends with good judgment, understanding, and prudence.
      Do not suffer fools gladly.

      God, I thank you for the wisdom and caring of good friends
      who care deeply for my welfare. Help me reciprocate and
      be a wise, caring, and encouraging friend. Amen.

      using your credit card!
      http://www.ChiRhoPress.com