Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of November 25, 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 24, 2012
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of November 25, 2012

      **********

      The new MCC Liturgical Calendar for Year C, November
      2012 through November 2013, is now posted on the Chi
      Rho Press Web site.

      Please order your copies now.

      Please feel free to forward this to your pastors,
      other clergy, music directors, worship teams, and
      anyone else you think would benefit from it.

      Here is the link to the new entry:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCal_12_13.html

      Jesus stopped for one person

      "Immediately her haemorrhage stopped; and she felt
      in her body that she was healed of her disease.
      Immediately aware that power had gone forth from him,
      Jesus turned about in the crowd and said, 'Who touched
      my clothes?' And his disciples said to him, 'You see
      the crowd pressing in on you; how can you say, "Who
      touched me?"' He looked all round to see who had done
      it. But the woman, knowing what had happened to her,
      came in fear and trembling, fell down before him, and
      told him the whole truth. He said to her, 'Daughter,
      your faith has made you well; go in peace, and be healed
      of your disease.'"
      Mark 5:29-34

      Even as the eager crowd pressed about him, Jesus felt
      his remarkable power reach out and heal someone. He
      stopped in his tracks while the excited crowd breathlessly
      awaited his words. Slowly surveying the crowd, Jesus asked
      them, "who touched my clothes?" His baffled inner circle
      of disciples were impatient at what they felt was a
      needless delay. Time was of the essence. "But Jesus,"
      they probably responded, "with this enormous crowd, many
      people have been pressing against you. Perhaps we should
      hurry, for the sick little girl is near death and awaiting
      your healing touch."

      In fear and trembling, the formerly ill and desperate woman
      came forward. It was obvious to her that Jesus would not
      move on until she identified herself. Although it was
      considered highly improper for a Jewish woman to speak
      publicly to a man not her husband, she mustered every
      ounce of courage, and reluctantly came forward. While
      all eyes were riveted on her, she quietly shared the
      whole truth of her illness and suffering to Jesus and
      the gaping crowd. For a moment, time seemed to stand
      still as the pathos of her life touched their hearts.

      Jesus listened intently. He then kindly and publicly
      blessed her act of faith and restored the tremulous woman
      back into meaningful community. "Daughter," said Jesus,
      "your faith has healed you. Go in peace and be freed
      from your suffering." By saying this, he spoke with an
      authority his listeners and critics alike would honor.

      Jesus respected the desperate woman's courage and gladly
      affirmed her healing, thus restoring her status as a
      religiously clean and healthy person to her local
      religious and social community. Her neighbors, friends,
      and family would no longer fear being near her. The
      healed woman could now entertain, experience meaningful
      touch by the people who loved her, and attend public
      functions in town and her synagogue. She was an outcast
      no longer. Jesus healed much more than her physical
      illness. He had healed the deepest needs of her soul.

      What can we take from this story and apply to our own
      lives? There are many lessons here. Perhaps the most
      important is that when one person reaches out to Jesus,
      he stops and compassionately listens. As he healed the
      deepest needs of this sick woman's soul, so he can heal
      our hurts and loneliness. Jesus continues even to this
      day, to bring isolated people into affirming community
      and deeper relationship with God. But first we must
      reach out in faith.

      Heal us, O Christ, as you have healed the deepest needs
      of this sick woman. May we too, experience healing faith
      and your peace, and experience freedom from our human
      sufferings. Amen.