Chi Rho Connection, Vol. II, No. 23

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 17, 2001

      The Chi Rho Press eNewsletter
      Vol. II, No. 23

      Just a reminder: contributions to Chi Rho Press are fully
      tax deductible!

      electronic newsletter of Chi Rho Press. Thank you for
      passing this Chi Rho Connection on to others.

      To unsubscribe send an e-mail to

      to see our entire lines of books, handouts, tchochkas,
      and stained glass.

      Direct all other e-mail to Adam@.... See
      the end of this eNewsletter for a complete list of
      e-mail addresses at ChiRhoPress.com.

      1. Salvation Army Protest Cards
      2. District Conference Raffle
      3. Holiday Shopping
      4. Book of the Month: Positively Gay
      5. The Fourth Step to Recovery from Bible Abuse
      6. Upcoming Chi Rho Press Events
      7. Opportunities to Participate in This Ministry

      1. Salvation Army Protest Cards

      We have produced cards in protest of the Salvation Army’s
      attempt to make a deal with the US government to circumvent
      local and state civil rights laws protecting gay and
      lesbian people. The cards are 4 ¼” by 2 ¾” on light green
      card stock.

      They say, “Dear Salvation Army, While I appreciate the good
      works that you do in terms of feeding, clothing, and
      housing the poor and needy, I am appalled by your attempt
      this past summer to subvert local and state civil rights
      laws. Because of your homophobic policies, I am bypassing
      your Red Kettles this season and will be giving my
      charitable contributions to organizations friendly to the
      gay and lesbian community. Merry Christmas.”

      Buy a stock of cards and put one in the bucket every time
      you see a Salvation Army bell ringer this holiday season.

      Salvation Army Protest Cards are available at 15 cards for
      $1.00 plus shipping and handling. These are only available
      by direct mail, and are not on our Web site at this time.
      Send your check or money order to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box
      7864, Gaithersburg, MD 20898. (E-mail us at
      Orders@... for exact cost with shipping of a
      specific number of cards.)

      2. District Conference Raffle

      We are planning for the final Mid-Atlantic District
      Conference in Hagerstown, Maryland, Nov. 9 and 10, at the
      Ramada Inn and Conference Center (301/733-5100). This
      will be the last District Conference since UFMCC polity is
      changing. The current middle-level judicatories will
      change from Districts to international Regions. The new
      Region 3 will include much of the current Mid-Atlantic
      District (except for West Virginia), plus New York State,
      Puerto Rico, and the islands of the eastern Caribbean
      (east of Cuba).

      The Chi Rho Press Board and staff are planning a major
      presence at this last Conference of the District which
      has been our home since the Press’ creation in 1990. We
      are hoping that most of our board members will join
      director Adam DeBaugh and Editor/Office Manager Kevin
      Fries, along with volunteers and other supporters for
      this conference.

      We will be holding a big raffle of a holiday basket filled
      with $150 worth of Press books, tapes, the Kreider video,
      stained glass, and other goodies. Raffle tickets are now
      available and are $1.00 each, six for $5.00. You can buy
      raffle tickets even if you are not able to be in Hagerstown
      with us. Just send us a check or money order for the
      number of tickets you want and we will send the ticket
      stubs (all filled out with your name and phone number) by
      return mail. You won’t have to be present to win.
      Remember -- $1.00 each, or six for $5.00!

      And if you are able to, please come join us in Hagerstown
      and say hello!

      3. Holiday Shopping

      Christmas is a little over two months away! Why not do all
      your Christmas shopping at Chi Rho Press? Imagine being
      able to boast to your friends and family that you have
      finished your Christmas shopping this early!

      Here are some great ideas for your holiday shopping:

      Stained Glass: Five designs to choose from, please see
      pictures of each design on our Web page. Our standard
      stained glass cross is $12.00, the rainbow cross is $18.00,
      the rainbow Star of David is $18.00, the LGBT rainbow flag
      is $18.00, and the AIDS ribbon is $7.50, all plus shipping
      and handling.

      *****

      ‘Positively Gay’ for an LBGT person just coming out, and
      even for someone who has been out for a while! See the
      next article for more information about this groundbreaking
      book. Only $14.95, plus shipping and handling (six or more
      for $11.25 each), ‘Positively Gay’ is not yet available on
      our Web site. Send your check or money order for $17.45
      for one copy to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864, Gaithersburg,
      MD 20898.

      *****

      Rainbow Key Chains and Rainbow Bracelets make great
      stocking stuffers. Only $2.00 each (plus shipping and
      handling), you may see a picture of these items and order
      them on our Web site.

      *****

      'The Road to Emmaus' an inclusive daily devotional by and
      for LGBT people of faith, $9.95 each, six or more copies
      for $7.50 each, plus shipping and handling. Please order
      it on our secure shopping cart on our Web site at
      http://www.ChiRhoPress.com. (Subscribers to the Chi Rho
      Connection also receive the Chi Rho Reflection at the
      beginning of each week, featuring a reading from 'The Road
      to Emmaus' from that week.)

      *****

      A great gift for mom and dad! Chi Rho Press author Roberta
      Kreider is featured in a video produced by John Davis. The
      new video, 'Family Stories: Journeys of Spirit in Mixed
      Orientation Families,' featuring Roberta Kreider (compiler
      of 'From Wounded Hearts') and Mary Lou Wallner, with an
      introduction by the Rev. Peter J. Gomes. VHS format,
      color, 35 minutes, $29.95, shipping and handling included.
      It is only available through the mail. Please send your
      check or money order for $29.95 to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box
      7864, Gaithersburg, MD 20898. Pre-paid orders only please.

      4. Book of the Month: ‘Positively Gay’

      Chi Rho Press now carries the third edition of
      'Positively Gay: New Approaches to Gay and Lesbian Life'
      (Celestial Arts, 2001).

      Chi Rho Press is carrying this book in part because
      our founder and Director, Adam DeBaugh, wrote the chapter
      entitled, 'Using Your Gay and Lesbian Voting Power.'
      This is an important book and the new edition, in a
      bright red cover, is an important addition to every LGBT
      library.

      'I wish we had published it!' says Adam DeBaugh. 'But
      I am proud to have been a part of ‘Positively Gay’ since
      the publication of the first edition in 1979. This book
      has been a basic primer for LGBT life for 22 years!'

      'Positively Gay has been widely and consistently praised
      for its practical treatment of the variety of topics
      affecting the lives of gays and lesbians. In this revised,
      third edition, Dr. Betty Berzon has brought together an
      impressive list of contributors from diverse backgrounds,
      disciplines, and approaches to spotlight significant but
      frequently overlooked issues that often take center stage
      in a gay or lesbian person's life.

      'From lawyers, writers, psychologists, social workers,
      rabbis, and priests, you'll read about building successful
      same-sex partnerships, reconciling religious dilemmas,
      coming out to your family, creating gay families, using
      your voting power, dealing with legal and financial issues,
      and living as a gay person of color. Although much has
      changed since 1979, this fully updated edition of Positively
      Gay holds true to the original mission of focusing on those
      aspects of gay and lesbian life that can most directly
      enhance one's positive identity.' (From the book jacket.)

      Author Michelangelo Signorile says, 'Positively Gay was the
      first gay book I ever read. It scared me. It challenged
      me. It excited me. And it eventually made me feel good
      about myself.'

      'Positively Gay' sells for $14.95, plus $2.50 shipping
      and handling. Currently it is only available from Chi
      Rho Press through mail order (not on the Web page).
      Please send your check or money order for $17.45 to Chi
      Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864, Gaithersburg, MD 20898.

      5. The Fourth Step to Recovery from Bible Abuse

      (From Chapter 9 of 'Steps to Recovery from Bible
      Abuse,' by Dr. Rembert Truluck.)

      The Fourth Step: Face and Deal with Your Anger

      Anger toward people and toward God or yourself can delay
      your recovery. Resist seeing yourself as a victim.

      ‘Let everyone be quick to listen, slow to speak, slow to
      anger; for human anger does not achieve the righteousness
      of God.’ James 1:19-20.

      How Jesus faced and dealt with his own anger is
      demonstrated in Mark 3:1-7, which is the basis for the
      first lesson in the Fourth Step. Jesus began dealing
      with anger by recognizing that he was angry and by
      taking appropriate steps to deal with it. The emotions
      of Jesus are given special attention in the Gospel of
      Mark. Read through Mark again and notice how often the
      human feelings of Jesus, such as compassion, grief,
      amazement, etc., are brought out. How Jesus handled his
      own feelings can be very instructive to us in equipping
      us to recover and heal from the abuses of sick, oppressive
      religion.

      Anger is a prevailing feature of the current gay lifestyle.
      Oppressed, abused people are usually frustrated, and anger
      is the natural outgrowth of frustration. The second lesson
      in the Fourth Step will explore the origins and dynamics of
      anger and suggest practical help in handling your anger.

      The words ‘mad’ and ‘anger’ are used to mean the same thing,
      because anger makes us at least ‘a little crazy’ and
      sometimes makes us into raving maniacs. We cannot over
      emphasize the importance of gay, lesbian, bisexual, and
      transgendered people learning to recognize and control
      their anger. Anger is a very natural and healthy emotion,
      but when it develops into a lifestyle or an expression of
      obsessive/compulsive behavior, anger kills.

      Additional Resources: See a very helpful (and entertaining,
      with lots of cartoons) recent bestseller by Redford
      Williams, M.D. and Virginia Williams, Ph.D., ‘Anger Kills:’
      Harper, 1994.

      *****

      The Fourth Step continues with Bible studies on How Jesus
      Handled Anger, Overcoming Hostility and Violence, Freedom
      from Fear, and Freedom to Live in Hope.

      You may buy 'Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse' on the
      Chi Rho Press Web site, http://www.ChiRhoPress.com, using
      your credit card on our secure shopping cart.

      6. Upcoming Chi Rho Press Events

      Nov. 9 and 10, the last Mid-Atlantic District Conference,
      Hagerstown, MD. Chi Rho Press will have a book table in
      the Conference Book Store, selling books, handouts,
      stained glass, videos and tapes, and other items.
      Visit www.mcc-midatl.org for more information.

      See Article # 2 about faffle tickets which be $1.00
      each, six for $5.00. Come join us in Hagerstown and
      say hello!

      Nov. 25, Traveling Bookstore at Imago Dei MCC, Media, PA.
      www.imagodeimcc.org

      7. Opportunities to Participate in this Ministry

      Become an Angel On-line! You may make contributions
      to the ministry of Chi Rho Press on our Web site,
      http://www.ChiRhoPress.com. Don’t forget, contributions
      to the ministry of Chi Rho Press are fully tax deductible.

      To put tax deductible contributions on your credit card,
      using our secure shopping cart on our Web page, go to
      http://www.chirhopress.com/frame_sponsor.html.

      Highlight the numeral 1 in the box and type in the amount
      you want to contribute (for instance, $150 to become a
      Guardian Angel). Click the Add to Cart link to the right
      of the amount box and the Shopping Cart will come up
      and you can either continue shopping or click on Check Out
      Now, which will take you through the check out process,
      asking you for your credit card number, etc. Be sure to
      give us your mailing address as well as e-mail address so
      we can send you your welcome gifts.

      If you have specific questions about the Guardian Angel
      Program, you may e-mail us at Angels@...,
      or telephone us at 301/926-1208.

      *****

      New Promissory Notes are now available. The Chi Rho Press
      Board of Directors has authorized the issuance of new
      Promissory Notes. We have recently paid off the first four
      of the 17 Notes that are outstanding, and the Board feels it
      is timely to offer additional notes to continue our full
      capitalization program.

      As before, $1,000 Promissory Notes are available from
      Chi Rho Press, at 8% simple interest, repaid in eight
      quarterly payments over a two year period.

      Write Adam@... for the text of the Promissory
      Note, or send your check for $1,000 (or $2,000, $3,000,
      or even $5,000!). We will send a signed Note after the
      receipt of your check.

      *****

      Volunteers needed! Are you in the Washington DC
      metropolitan area? If so Chi Rho Press can always benefit
      from your volunteer time! Data entry, filing, general
      office work is always needed.

      You don’t live in the DC area? We also are looking for
      volunteer editors and graphic artists.

      Write the Office Manager at Kevin@....

      8. Adam's Last Word:

      Suddenly autumn is upon us here in the Washington DC area.
      The leaves have started to change color. The weather is
      in that in-between stage some days I turn on the air
      conditioning, some evenings I turn on the heat. The leaves
      on the Bradford Pear in my front garden are getting ready
      to turn red, then brown, then falling, and begging to be
      swept or raked away. The sky has been startling blue many
      days.

      The sadness and fear that pervades many in our country
      since Sept. 11 continues as anthrax contamination pops
      up in a number of locations. Yet, there is also a
      determination and a resolve. Charitable giving is higher
      than usual these days, people are somehow more kind, more
      friendly, more tolerant at least those are the reports.
      Terror from abroad can perhaps work to dispel the home
      grown terror here at home.

      As we move toward the holiday season, it will be important
      for us to remember ‘the reason for the season.’ Halloween
      is the eve of All Saints Day, followed by All Souls Day
      perfect times to remember all the saints who have gone
      before. Remember family members, friends, and colleagues
      who have succumbed to HIV, victims of homophobia and hatred
      and bigotry of all kinds, and the victims of the attacks in
      New York, Washington, Pennsylvania, and Florida, and in
      other places now where disease is used as a weapon.
      Remember also the people of Afghanistan as they suffer
      under the fundamentalist Taliban regime and the US bombing.

      Thanksgiving will follow in about a month here in the U.S.
      And it is time to remember ‘the reason for the season.’ We
      have a great deal to be thankful for. Take time to remember
      all the things you have and give thanks to God, the source
      of all our gifts.

      And then comes Advent and Christmastide, celebrating the
      greatest gift of all. ‘The reason for the season’ of
      Christmas is not Santa Claus, gift giving, holiday parties,
      and all, but rather the celebration of the birth of God
      Incarnate, our Savior and Messiah. Remember in this time
      of war, that Jesus came not as a new emperor, or king, or
      general. He came as the Prince of Peace.

      May Christ’s peace be with you all throughout the coming
      holiday season.

      If you've received the Chi Rho Connection as a result of the
      good offices of someone passing it along to you (which
      we certainly encourage) and would like to receive it
      directly from us, please follow the directions at the
      end of this Connection to subscribe.

      To order, please visit http://www.ChiRhoPress.com. You
      may pay by credit card on our web page or we will ship
      order. Include your e-mail address, mailing address,
      and telephone number please.

      If you have questions, please write to
      Question@....

      For comments and suggestions
      about this eNewsletter, please write
      Connection@....

      To learn about our Guardian
      Angel Individual Sponsor Program, please write
      Angels@....

      For all other correspondence,
      please write Adam@....

      friends can order using credit cards on our Web page or
      through our Canadian distributor, MAP Enterprises, Mary
      Ann Pearson, at her new Web page,
      http://www.christiangays.com.

      Kevin Stone Fries, Editor/Office Manager,
      Kevin@....