Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of November 18, 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 18, 2012
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of November 18, 2012

      **********

      The new MCC Liturgical Calendar for Year C, November
      2012 through November 2013, is now posted on the Chi
      Rho Press Web site.

      Please order your copies now.

      Please feel free to forward this to your pastors,
      other clergy, music directors, worship teams, and
      anyone else you think would benefit from it.

      Here is the link to the new entry:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCal_12_13.html

      The grace of giving money

      "We want you to know, brothers and sisters, about
      the grace of God that has been granted to the
      churches of Macedonia; for during a severe ordeal
      of affliction, their abundant joy and their
      extreme poverty have overflowed in a wealth of
      generosity on their part. For, as I can testify,
      they voluntarily gave according to their means,
      and even beyond their means, begging us earnestly
      for the privilege of sharing in this ministry to
      the saints – and this, not merely as we expected;
      they gave themselves first to the Lord and, by
      the will of God, to us, so that we might urge
      Titus that, as he had already made a beginning,
      so he should also complete this generous
      undertaking among you. Now as you excel in
      everything – in faith, in speech, in knowledge,
      in utmost eagerness, and in our love for you – so
      we want you to excel also in this generous
      undertaking. I do not say this as a command, but
      I am testing the genuineness of your love against
      the earnestness of others. For you know the
      generous act of our Lord Jesus Christ, that
      though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became
      poor, so that by his poverty you might become rich."

      2 Corinthians 8:1-9

      Today's Bible verses encourage the generosity of
      God's people to give financially to those in dire
      need. The inspired author of this material is
      the apostle Paul, writing to the first century
      Corinthian church in Greece. Paul's timeless
      words of encouragement to complete the collection
      of money for famine relief are appropriate
      today. World hunger should be a Christian
      concern locally and globally, wherever people
      routinely go to bed hungry, and children perish
      daily from starvation.

      Christians must be generous in giving their money
      for hunger relief, teaches Paul, because of the
      example of grace of our Lord Jesus Christ. Jesus
      was supremely generous and gave his all for
      humanity, so we could experience the riches of
      God. We are to follow the generous example of
      Jesus and share our abundance with others in need.

      Paul understood Jesus was very concerned with
      world hunger and suffering people. But the
      Corinthian church was more concerned with their
      own needs and was neglecting their earlier
      promise of famine relief to the Jerusalem church
      in far away Israel. Perhaps we too, need this
      refresher course in the grace of giving money today.

      God loves a cheerful giver and is pleased when we
      share our resources generously with suffering
      humanity. Christians are to excel in many graces
      – in speech, knowledge of God, sincerity, and
      love for the saints. Christians are also
      expected by God to give willingly from their
      abundance. When in doubt of how much to give,
      consider the supremely generous act of Christ
      going to the cross, and be inspired to give
      without any hidden agenda or expectations of
      payback, with or without interest or profitable gain.

      People of faith are often uncomfortable when the
      subject comes to money. Paul expands his
      teachings through chapters 8 and 9 in this letter
      to the Corinthians. We are to give freely from
      the heart and never reluctantly or under
      compulsion. As we give generously to others in
      need, many will give thanks and honor God as a result.

      The grace of giving financially is one very
      practical aspect of our confession of
      faith. Sometimes we have to put our money where
      our mouth is. Talk can be very cheap. It takes
      money to feed the starving, clothe the poor,
      shelter the homeless, help the orphan, and reach
      out with the compassion of Christ. A church that
      is not giving is not living up to its fullest
      God-given potential to make an impact in the
      world. When in doubt, give more and not less.

      All Christians, gay and straight alike, rich and
      poor, are expected to open their wallets and
      pockets to assist others less fortunate. This is
      the heart of today's Bible verses.

      Teach us, O God, to give generously to others in
      need locally and globally. Help us be very
      concerned with world hunger and act
      accordingly. May we always be inspired through
      the generous act of giving, demonstrated by our
      Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.

      using your credit card! <http://www.ChiRhoPress.com>http://www.ChiRhoPress.com