Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of November 4, 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2012
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of November 4, 2012

      **********

      The new MCC Liturgical Calendar for Year C, November
      2012 through November 2013, is now posted on the Chi
      Rho Press Web site.

      Please order your copies now.

      Please feel free to forward this to your pastors,
      other clergy, music directors, worship teams, and
      anyone else you think would benefit from it.

      Here is the link to the new entry:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCal_12_13.html

      Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

      "Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength
      of his power. Put on the whole armour of God, so
      that you may be able to stand against the wiles of
      the devil. For our struggle is not against enemies
      of blood and flesh, but against the rulers, against
      the authorities, against the cosmic powers of this
      present darkness, against the spiritual forces of
      evil in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the
      whole armour of God, so that you may be able to
      withstand on that evil day, and having done
      everything, to stand firm."
      Ephesians 6:10-13

      As followers of Christ, we will experience spiritual
      warfare. We live in a world full of good and evil.
      Evil comes in many forms and disguises, and attempts
      to extinguish the light of God within us. Evil can
      be subtle and easy to miss. Evil can wear us down
      like a pebble in a shoe. We are in a struggle that
      is not against flesh and blood, but a struggle that
      is cosmic in nature. The struggle may come in the
      form of reasonable compromise or may be quite obvious,
      such as great movements of evil in world history.

      How can we be strong in God? We can live in the
      strength of God's power and withstand evil by wearing
      the whole armor of God. Partial armor is not enough.
      Years of military experience reveal that the enemies
      will always look for a weak link in the line of
      defense. The enemy will study their opponent's
      weaknesses and when least expected, will attack and
      slaughter without mercy.

      What is the whole armor of God? We put on our armor
      while standing firm in our faith. Wear your belt of
      truth. Put on the breastplate of righteousness. Wear
      shoes that will prepare you to proclaim the Gospel of
      peace. St. Francis reminds us to preach the Gospel at
      all times and if necessary, to use words. Hold on to
      your shield of faith. Wear the helmet of salvation
      and sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
      Pray in the power of the Holy Spirit at all times in
      every prayer. Pray alertly and frequently for other
      Christians in their struggles against the evil one.
      Our best ammunition against evil and doubt is prayer.
      Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

      I used to have a bookmark that said something like
      this, "When we reach up, God is reaching down." When
      we clothe ourselves with the whole armor of God, we
      can be confident that God is standing alongside us.
      God is greater than all the combined forces of evil.
      One plus God is a majority. We need to pray for each
      other to succeed in our Christian lives. Through our
      prayers, we can help others put on their spiritual
      armor when they are battle fatigued and unprepared.
      Many people say sexual minorities cannot be Christians,
      but the word of God invites seekers from all sexual
      orientations who are interested in Christ into the
      family of God. This is an important part of our armor.
      Without this understanding, we are vulnerable to the
      attacks of the evil one who delights in defeating us
      with lies and deceptions.

      So praise the Lord and pass the ammunition! Wear the
      full armor of God. Remember, the Bible invites without
      discrimination all, whosoever, anyone, and everyone to
      a full and triumphant life in God.

      God, thank you for your word, which so empowers us for
      spiritual warfare. Help us stand firm and stand tall
      in your armor. Amen.