Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of October 28, 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 28, 2012
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of October 28, 2012

      The new MCC Liturgical Calendar for Year C, November
      2012 through November 2013, is now posted on the Chi
      Rho Press Web site.

      Please order your copies now.

      Please feel free to forward this to your pastors,
      other clergy, music directors, worship teams, and
      anyone else you think would benefit from it.

      Here is the link to the new entry:

      Wonderful words of life

      Jesus said to the disciples, "Go therefore and make
      disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name
      of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
      and teaching them to obey everything that I have
      commanded you. And remember, I am with you always,
      to the end of the age."
      Matthew 28:19-20

      The Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John offer us
      wonderful words of life. They offer us hope, courage,
      joy, peace, and strength for the day. By reading them,
      we learn how to better love God, our neighbors, and
      ourselves. As we slowly read the stories, we learn
      many things from Jesus. We are blessed with his
      spiritual hospitality and generosity. Jesus also
      fully expects us to share the goodness of God with
      others, and we are expected to pass it on. God's good
      news is to be shared and not hoarded! We are blessed
      with this charge to teach others what Jesus commanded.

      We all teach others whether we realize it or not. We
      teach by example. How we live deeply influences our
      children, friends, and neighbors. Our attitudes and
      actions impact even the stranger on the street. Our
      lives are actually our sermons. Sometimes our actions
      are so loud that people cannot hear our words.

      While some of us teach in formal classrooms and small
      group settings, most of us probably teach others
      informally. Perhaps someone asks for personal advice
      or a recipe. Or maybe there is a young mother seeking
      mentoring by an older woman. Work friends and colleagues
      might come to us for suggestions regarding money, health
      issues, or an ethical situation. We are all teachers in
      some capacity. Some of us teach best without words, but
      by serving others. Because none of us are clones, we
      will teach in many creative and diverse ways.

      Our challenge is to teach the gospel humbly, graciously,
      thoughtfully, whenever people are interested. We are to
      live and share the teachings of Jesus and offer them in
      culturally relevant ways to each generation. This is our
      calling. In doing so, we help make Jesus audible and
      visible in the lives of others.

      People need to learn the story of Jesus in safe places
      as they explore the concept of discipleship. Spiritual
      rebirth is free indeed, but discipleship is costly.
      Discipleship is a seven day a week, twenty-four hour a
      day calling. There is nothing easy about following
      Jesus and people should know this before they are
      invited to "make a commitment." Obeying his teachings
      will bring us into countercultural living. By living
      his words, we will threaten the status quo of our
      religions, societies, political movements, and more.
      We will be called to feed the hungry, visit the sick
      and those in prison while sharing our wealth and
      resources with others in need.

      Study his teachings closely before teaching others.
      The Gospels teach us that there is a welcome for
      everyone who is interested in Jesus. It takes time
      to carefully learn and relearn all that Jesus commanded
      and taught. Jesus carefully trained his inner circle
      of disciples for three intense years. Discipleship is
      a lifetime revelation. Disciples are to disciple new
      babes in the faith.

      Consider rereading Matthew's Gospel as a primer in
      discipleship. Ask God for wisdom and insight as you
      strive to share the goodness of
      Christ with others.

      Help me make the effort to become a gracious teacher in
      word and deed, God, as I learn and generously share these
      wonderful words of life with others. Truly, the results
      are in your hands. Amen.

      using your credit card! http://www.ChiRhoPress.com>http://www.ChiRhoPress.com