Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of October 14, 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 14, 2012
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of October 14, 2012

      Honest to God

      "From noon on, darkness came over the whole land
      until three in the afternoon. And about three
      o'clock Jesus cried with a loud voice, 'Eli, Eli,
      lema sabachthani?' that is, 'My God, my God, why
      have you forsaken me?'"
      Matthew 27:45-46

      Hour after agonizing hour went by. A strange and
      eerie darkness fell over the land. As Christ
      experienced the full pain of the curse of sin,
      darkness pervaded the earth. When the earth was
      at its darkest hour, Jesus cried out in despair,
      "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"
      (quoting Psalm 22:1 NIV)

      Who among us has not experienced the darkness of
      despair, loneliness, betrayal, torment, ridicule,
      rejection, verbal and/or physical abuse, and
      suffering? The darkest despair of all is feeling
      forsaken and separated from God. Jesus, even Jesus,
      cried out in despair.

      I have listened to many suffering people cry out
      similar heartfelt words. Sometimes people of faith
      discourage this kind of spiritual honesty. "It's
      not nice to question God," these well-meaning
      comforters will say. "You need to have more faith,"
      they remind us. Even Jesus felt forsaken in his
      darkest moments before death. We too, can cry out
      and feel safe with our questions and doubts.

      My mother eventually lost her battle with cancer
      after years of chemotherapy and radiation. When
      she was on hourly morphine, she still struggled to
      breathe without pain. I would often hold her and
      rock her gently back and forth as she cried in pain.
      "Why is God doing this to me?" she often asked. I
      never knew what to say. I only know God cried with
      us and provided strength for the moment, sometimes
      one breath at a time. I had the privilege of being
      with her when she died and will never forget her last
      words. "God is calling my name," she struggled to say,
      "and I'm not afraid." Throughout her illness, she had
      been honest to God with her diagnosis and prognosis.
      God honored her spiritual honesty and provided her
      with the courage and faith she needed at the hour of
      her death.

      Jesus was honest to God on the cross. His words give
      us courage to share our doubts, questions, and fears
      with God. God can help us in our darkest hours when
      we feel abandoned, forsaken, and forgotten. Be honest
      to God. Your circumstances might not change, but you
      will be spiritually empowered.

      God, give us the spiritual honesty of Jesus as we
      struggle with darkness in our lives. Give us spiritual
      empowerment for one breath at a time. Amen.

      using your credit card!
      http://www.ChiRhoPress.com