Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of October 7, 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6, 2012
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of October 7, 2012

      Holy dreams

      "While Pilate was sitting on the judgement seat, his
      wife sent word to him, 'Have nothing to do with that
      innocent man [Jesus], for today I have suffered a
      great deal because of a dream about him.'"
      Matthew 27:19

      The Bible is full of holy dreamers. They have
      sometimes changed the course of world history. God
      can and does speak to people through holy dreams even
      today. Dreams are sometimes difficult to interpret
      and may even wake us up as nightmares. Such was the
      case with the wife of Pilate. Somehow, God gave her
      a dream so troubling that she sent her husband an
      emergency message as he wavered indecisively, waiting
      for the fickle crowd to choose between Barabbas and

      We do not know many things about Pilate's wife. We
      do not know her name or background or any details about
      her marriage to Pilate. Perhaps Pilate habitually came
      home from the office and discussed his business affairs
      with her, seeking her opinion on controversial issues.
      She may have been a trusted sounding board to him. It
      could even be that she had followed with keen interest
      the ministry of Jesus from afar.

      We do know that she had a terrible nightmare about Jesus
      and her husband. Without hesitation, she reached out to
      her husband with all the influence and power she had at
      her disposal. She begged her spouse for the life of
      Jesus. She knew he was innocent and in great danger,
      for her husband was a weak and ineffectual leader. Her
      courage in speaking out in the face of hate and public
      opinion is commendable. She could not let an innocent
      man be given the death penalty. Even if it came at the
      cost of her marriage, she would not be silenced.

      I am sure her husband hesitated on the judgment seat.
      Perhaps he dismissed her message or was annoyed with
      her interference. On the other hand, he may have
      regretted his earlier decision to let the crowd make
      a life and death decision about Jesus. But how could
      he take control of this situation that was so rapidly
      getting out of hand?

      Pilate's wife offers us a profile in courage and
      spiritual discernment. Through her example, honor
      your dreams. Do not brush them aside. Be open and
      attentive to what God might be saying to you. It is
      helpful to write down our dreams so we do not forget
      them. Talk about them to trusted friends, pastors,
      chaplains, spiritual directors, counselors, and
      therapists. Who knows, God might speak to you too
      through a powerful dream.

      God, help me be sensitive to holy dreams. If you chose
      to speak to me through dreams, bless me with insight and
      understanding, as well as the courage to act on what I
      recognize as your divine leading. Amen.