Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of September 30, 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2012
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of September 30, 2012

      Fear and courage

      "Those who had arrested Jesus took him to Caiaphas
      the high priest, in whose house the scribes and the
      elders had gathered. But Peter was following him
      at a distance, as far as the courtyard of the high
      priest; and going inside, he sat with the guards in
      order to see how this would end."
      Matthew 26:57-58

      Jesus was being roughly pushed into the assembly of
      all the religious authorities who waited to condemn
      him. We are given a picture of combined fear and
      courage through Peter's example. Yes, it is true
      that he had earlier deserted Jesus. Quite frankly
      he fled for his life. Do you blame him? What would
      you have done in his place?

      Peter conquers his fear enough to discretely follow
      the arresting mob at a distance. He enters into the
      very courtyard of the high priest so eager to put
      Jesus to death. Peter stays until the outcome is
      decided. He courageously swallows his fear enough
      to sit down with the guards. His own personal safety
      is at risk, but his deep love for Jesus gives him enough
      courage to literally sit with the enemy.

      Have you felt terror and helplessness in your own life?
      Sometimes all we can do to is quietly wait in situations
      beyond our control. Love is what gives us courage to
      return to our loved ones. Love is what gives us the
      bravery to remain near them even when it is personally
      dangerous and unpopular. Love is the greatest motivator
      on earth. Peter loved Jesus and is to be applauded for
      his fearful courage.

      Where, dear God, am I in this story? Increase my love
      and courage for Jesus. Amen.