Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of September 16, 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 19, 2012
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of September 16, 2012

      Hard times

      "So when you see the desolating sacrilege
      standing in the holy place, as was spoken of by
      the prophet Daniel (let the reader understand),
      then those in Judea must flee to the mountains;
      someone on the housetop must not go down to take
      what is in the house; someone in the field must
      not turn back to get a coat. Woe to those who
      are pregnant and to those who are nursing infants
      in those days! Pray that your flight may not be
      in winter or on a sabbath. For at that time
      there will be great suffering, such as has not
      been from the beginning of the world until now,
      no, and never will be. And if those days had not
      been cut short, no one would be saved; but for
      the sake of the elect those days will be cut
      short. Then if anyone says to you, 'Look! Here
      is the Messiah!' or 'There he is!' – do not
      believe it. For false messiahs and false
      prophets will appear and produce great signs and
      omens, to lead astray, if possible, even the
      elect. Take note, I have told you beforehand."
      Matthew 24:15-25

      Famous scholars disagree about the meaning of
      some Bible passages. Depending on which
      commentaries and study notes you refer to, you
      will find a number of wide ranging interpretations
      on these verses.

      There are some areas of agreement. Most of the
      resources I consulted agreed that Jesus was
      referring to prophetic passages in Daniel 9:27;
      11:31; 12:11 (Bruce, F. F., General Editor. "The
      International Bible Commentary with the New
      International Version," page 1902). Many people
      believe Jesus was speaking of a double reference
      to the catastrophic event when the Roman army
      would destroy the Jerusalem temple in A.D. 70 and
      to the Antichrist (Hendriksen, William. "New
      Testament Commentary: The Gospel of Matthew,"
      pp. 860-861). One commentary suggests the
      Sabbath reference was clearly a Jewish
      perspective by the Gospel author Matthew
      (Guthrie, D., and J. A. Motyer, Editors. "The
      New Bible Commentary," p. 845). The author of
      Matthew was Jewish. It would have been against
      the Jewish law to travel on the Sabbath. Another
      scholar states that this horrible disaster that
      affected Israel was limited in scope and had a
      definite end. History continued. The events
      were "catastrophic but not apocalyptic"
      (Ibid.). They were not the end of world history.

      This passage remains very difficult to interpret
      and understand. What I clearly understand is
      this: Jesus has told us ahead of time that there
      will be many false Christs and prophets. I do
      not have to be deceived. The Gospels are our
      standard of measurement for when the going gets
      tough.

      Rather than be fearful of the end times, get to
      know Jesus through reading the Gospels of
      Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. Get to know him
      personally and be spiritually empowered for
      whatever life brings your way. Jesus' words and
      wisdom are timeless for your era of world history
      and global culture. We can be secure in the
      words of Christ and know truth when deceit
      surrounds us. So take courage and rest in Christ.

      God, sometimes the Bible is difficult to
      understand. We live in a world where fearful and
      distressing events occur locally and globally.
      Give us insight and discernment as we strive to
      know Jesus, sometimes in the midst of chaos and
      confusion. Amen.