Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of September 9, 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 8, 2012
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of September 9, 2012

      Be very careful

      Jesus said, "Woe to you, blind guides, who say,
      'Whoever swears by the sanctuary is bound by nothing,
      but whoever swears by the gold of the sanctuary is
      bound by the oath.' You blind fools! For which is
      greater, the gold or the sanctuary that has made the
      gold sacred? And you say, 'Whoever swears by the altar
      is bound by nothing, but whoever swears by the gift that
      is on the altar is bound by the oath.' How blind you
      are! For which is greater, the gift or the altar that
      makes the gift sacred? So whoever swears by the altar,
      swears by it and by everything on it; and whoever swears
      by the sanctuary, swears by it and by the one who dwells
      in it; and whoever swears by heaven, swears by the throne
      of God and by the one who is seated upon it."
      Matthew 23:16-22

      I believe it was Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882) who said,
      "Be very careful what you set your heart upon, for you
      will surely have it." Set your heart upon loving and
      serving God. Honor your oaths, vows, and promises to
      God. Today's verses remind us to be very careful indeed.
      Are we serving as blind spiritual guides? Does money blind
      us? Or have we blinded others by our own idolization of
      money? Have we valued anything more than our vows, oaths,
      and promises to God? Have we compromised our spiritual
      integrity for personal greed?

      Life is a spiritual marathon. A photograph of a blind man
      running a marathon with a sighted partner, which I saw in
      a running magazine with an advertisement for the Marine
      Corps Marathon, deeply influenced me many years ago. The
      blind man wore a large sign pinned to his chest that said,
      "BLIND." I marveled at his courage and faith in his
      running partner to run 26.2 grueling miles. He trusted
      his partner's clear vision as well as his faithful and
      protective presence. The blind man could not have run
      the race with a sightless guide in that jostling crowd
      of thousands of fellow marathoners. He needed a sighted
      guide to finish the race.

      In much the same way, we benefit by having clear sighted
      and reliable spiritual guides who offer us their experience
      and wisdom. Be selective and seek guides known for their
      integrity and trustworthiness. However, even the best
      spiritual mentors can disappoint. But Jesus Christ will
      never let you down or abandon you when the going gets
      tough. Whatever your circumstances, follow his guidance
      and you will find sure footing along with growing spiritual
      clarity and perception. You might be astonished at how God
      might bring seekers and believers into your life, seeking
      your experiences in the spiritual life, drawn to you
      because Christ is your guide in life.

      God, give us eyes to see this warning. Give us spiritual
      insight to respond to it. Help us heed the words of Christ
      today and be wise spiritual guides. Amen.