Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of August 26, 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 26, 2012
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of August 26, 2012

      Hosanna!

      "When they had come near Jerusalem and had reached
      Bethphage, at the Mount of Olives, Jesus sent two
      disciples, saying to them, 'Go into the village
      ahead of you, and immediately you will find a donkey
      tied, and a colt with her; untie them and bring them
      to me. If anyone says anything to you, just say
      this, "The Lord needs them." And he will send them
      immediately.' This took place to fulfill what had
      been spoken through the prophet, saying,

      'Tell the daughter of Zion,
      Look, your king is coming to you,
      humble, and mounted on a donkey,
      and on a colt, the foal of a donkey.'

      The disciples went and did as Jesus had directed them;
      they brought the donkey and the colt, and put their
      cloaks on them, and he sat on them. A very large
      crowd spread their cloaks on the road, and others cut
      branches from the trees and spread them on the road.
      The crowds that went ahead of him and that followed
      were shouting,

      'Hosanna to the Son of David!
      Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the Lord!
      Hosanna in the highest heaven!'

      When he entered Jerusalem, the whole city was in
      turmoil, asking, 'Who is this?' The crowds were saying,
      'This is the prophet Jesus from Nazareth in Galilee.'"
      Matthew 21:1-11

      Jesus was at a crossroads. Some might call this fate or
      destiny. Others would say he is at a divine appointment.
      At the crossroads, he consciously made the choice to
      courageously go forward to his death on the cross. The
      disciples and cheering crowds had no idea of what was to
      come. This was why Jesus was born. He knew and accepted
      his divine fate. In doing so, Jesus forever changed the
      world.

      Everything he did was with intention and obedience to
      prophecy. The donkey symbolized humility, peace, and
      Davidic royalty (Zechariah 9:9). The very large crowds
      spread their cloaks as an act of royal homage (2 Kings:
      28). "Hosanna" means both prayer and praise. Jesus was
      being recognized as a king, a leader, and a prophet from
      God. For a moment he enjoyed the accolades of adoring
      crowds. The soon to be fickle crowds enthusiastically
      cheered Jesus. The entire city was stirred. Many asked,
      "Who is this?" Perhaps you have the same question, Who
      is this Jesus?

      Usually we read this passage (commonly called "the
      Triumphal Entry") for Palm Sunday. But the drama of
      the gospel is appropriate anytime of the year. Other
      Gospel accounts of this dramatic event are located in
      Mark 11:1-10, Luke 19:29-38, and John 12:12-15. If
      today were Palm Sunday, we would begin what the Christian
      Church calls "Holy Week" with special Maundy Thursday and
      Good Friday worship services. This is the week when
      people of faith around the world remember the cross,
      death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus. Easter
      celebrates the empty tomb.

      We need to remember King Jesus, Son of David, the Messiah,
      is the Christ. He not only rode into Jerusalem on a
      donkey, but even today Jesus wishes to ride into our
      hearts and live with us forever.

      The crowds cried, "Hosanna!" They blessed Jesus publicly
      as he rode by. We would do well if we followed their
      example. So the questions beg asking. Who is this Jesus?
      Who is he to you? Have you praised and blessed him with
      the adoring crowds? Or are you still wondering who he
      really is?

      Lord Jesus Christ, Son of David, Child of God, Hosanna!
      Blessed are you! Amen.