Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of August 19, 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 18, 2012
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of August 19, 2012

      What must I do?

      "Then someone came to him and said, 'Teacher,
      what good deed must I do to have eternal life?'"
      Matthew 19:16

      A wealthy person wants to know from Jesus what
      he has to do to get eternal life. The Teacher
      answered his question with a question, and the
      two have a profound conversation. It does not
      matter if we are rich or poor, old or young, male
      or female, lesbian or gay or heterosexual. It is
      a question we all have. What do we have to do to
      get eternal life? How can we live forever?

      Jesus and the wealthy man engage in respectful
      conversation. You have to obey the commandments,
      replied Jesus. Which ones, asks the Jewish
      seeker. Jesus cites only six of the Ten
      Commandments. Oh, the Jewish man exclaimed in
      relief. I have done all those. What do I lack?

      We are told that the rich man's face became very
      sad when he heard the Teacher's answer. Jesus
      bluntly told him to give all his possessions to
      the poor. He would then have treasure in
      heaven. This nameless, wealthy man then received
      a personal invitation by Jesus to come and follow
      him. The young man had great wealth and left
      saddened. All his money could not buy, barter,
      or bribe God into giving him eternal life.

      Does this story mean we each must give away all
      our possessions before following Jesus in
      discipleship? Of course not! But perhaps there
      are possessions, wealth, or relationships that we
      worship and honor more than God in our
      lives. What might they be? Are they hindering
      our life with Jesus? What must we do for eternal
      life? Salvation is free. Discipleship is a
      lifetime of following Jesus. This includes how
      we use our money.

      Richard Foster wrote, "Our study of money leads
      us to one inescapable conclusion: we who follow
      Jesus Christ are called to a vow of simplicity.
      This vow is not for the dedicated few but for
      all. It is not an option to take or leave
      depending on our personal preference. All who
      name Christ as Lord and Savior are obliged to
      follow what he says, and Jesus' call to
      discipleship in money can best be summed up in
      the single word simplicity. Simplicity seeks
      to do justice to our Lord's many-faced teachings
      about money – light and dark, giving and
      receiving, trust, contentment, and faith.
      Simplicity means unity of heart and singleness
      of purpose. We have only one desire; to obey
      Christ in all things . . . we have only one
      use for money: to advance his kingdom upon the
      earth" (Richard J. Foster. "The Challenge of
      the Disciplined Life: Christian Reflections on
      Money, Sex, and Power," p. 71).

      God, where are we in this story today? What does
      this mean in our lives? Are we willing to follow
      Jesus? Teach us how to use our money for you.
      Help us give with generous hearts. Amen.

      $15.75 each, plus shipping and handling. You can find it at