Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of August 12, 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 12, 2012
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of August 12, 2012

      Who is the greatest?

      "At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked,
      'Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?' He
      called a child, whom he put among them, and said,
      'Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like
      children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.
      Whoever becomes humble like this child is the greatest
      in the kingdom of heaven. Whoever welcomes one such
      child in my name welcomes me.

      'If any of you put a stumbling-block before one of these
      little ones who believe in me, it would be better for
      you if a great millstone were fastened around your neck
      and you were drowned in the depth of the sea. Woe to
      the world because of stumbling-blocks! Occasions for
      stumbling are bound to come, but woe to the one by whom
      the stumbling-block comes!

      'If your hand or your foot causes you to stumble, cut
      it off and throw it away; it is better for you to enter
      life maimed or lame than to have two hands or two feet
      and to be thrown into the eternal fire. And if your eye
      causes you to stumble, tear it out and throw it away;
      it is better for you to enter life with one eye than to
      have two eyes and to be thrown into the hell of fire.'"
      Matthew 18:1-9

      One of my good friends is a fiercely competitive bowler.
      She is one of the best and is frequently called "THE
      bowler." Many fear bowling against her because she is
      very, very good. She is the greatest woman bowler in
      her state. But this is not the kind of greatness Jesus
      is teaching about.

      At this point in the story the disciples have been with
      Jesus for three years. They wanted to know who was the
      greatest among their inner group. Jesus brings in a
      young child for a lesson in spiritual greatness.
      According to the kingdom of heaven, spiritual greatness
      is found in those with childlike humility and trust in
      Christ. And woe to any who place stumbling blocks
      before these little ones. Woe to any who cause them
      to lose their faith in Jesus.

      Jesus is not calling people to disfigure or mutilate
      themselves literally in their self-examination. Jesus
      does call us to moments of introspection and reflection.
      We are all God's children. Are we placing stumbling
      blocks and discouraging certain people from faith in
      Jesus?

      I will always remember the story of a young gay Christian.
      He grew up in a legalistic church, listening to his pastor
      preach about how much Jesus hated homosexuals. This young
      man believed his pastor through his teenage years as he
      struggled to become heterosexual so Jesus would love him.
      One day, as a young adult, he asked a priest friend just
      where in the Gospels did Jesus preach such condemnation.

      Nowhere, exclaimed the priest. For the young man, it was
      a profound moment of revelation and hope. He soon found
      a Christian church consisting of many gay and lesbian
      parishioners. He now sings in the choir and brings his
      dates and friends to this welcoming church. He was one
      of the lucky ones fortunate to overcome his spiritual
      stumbling blocks. The homophobic church of his childhood
      had caused him years of tears and inner torment, attempting
      to change what could not be changed. His childhood pastor
      had actually lied from his pulpit, inflicting great harm
      to this young man and the entire congregation.

      God, are we helping or hindering people from trusting in
      Jesus? Amen.