Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of August 5, 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2012
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of August 5, 2012

      What about you?

      "Now when Jesus came into the district of Caesarea
      Philippi, he asked his disciples, 'Who do people say
      that the Son of Man is?' And they said, 'Some say
      John the Baptist, but others Elijah, and still others
      Jeremiah or one of the prophets.' He said to them,
      'But who do you say that I am?' Simon Peter answered,
      'You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.'
      And Jesus answered him, 'Blessed are you, Simon son
      of Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this
      to you, but my Father in heaven. And I tell you, you
      are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church,
      and the gates of Hades will not prevail against it.
      I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven,
      and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven,
      and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in
      heaven.' Then he sternly ordered the disciples not
      to tell anyone that he was the Messiah."
      Matthew 16:13-20

      Jesus and his inner circle of disciples have been
      together for several years at this point. They lived,
      traveled, worked, learned, and socialized together.
      Jesus has carefully trained them. It is time for the
      Teacher to ask his students a very important question.
      Who do people say that he is? They reply with the
      names of several famous prophets from their religious
      heritage. Then comes a personal question by the One
      they love and trust. "But what about you? Who do you
      say I am?"

      Perhaps this is a good place for us to pause and sit
      with the disciples as they remember all they have
      experienced with this remarkable Teacher, Friend, and
      Healer. We have also experienced some of the miracles,
      lingered with famous teachings, and struggled with
      parables about the kingdom of heaven.

      Impulsive Peter blurts out his conviction that Jesus
      is God's Messiah. Jesus blesses Peter for his rock-
      like, sturdy faith and promises to use him to build
      the foundation of the ecumenical Christian church.
      The gates of Hades will not prevail against this
      amazing institution dedicated to bringing the reign
      of God on earth. Even the very keys of heaven are
      given to Peter, who is so clearly destined for
      spiritual greatness, anointed with awesome authority
      by Christ.

      But this spiritual power is not limited to the apostle
      Peter. Every believer in Christ, gay or straight, has
      a vital role to play in the building and furthering of
      the mission of Christ through participating in the life
      of the Church. The Greek word for church is ecclesia,
      meaning the called out people.

      The traditional face of Christianity is slowly but
      surely changing as growing numbers of gay, lesbians,
      bisexual, and transgendered people are participating
      in churches as a called out people, confronting many
      churches and societies of institutionalized homophobia
      around the world. The spirit of Christ is every bit
      as evident in their lives as in that of the apostle
      Peter.

      What say you? Who is Jesus? Are you participating in
      the life of the ecclesia? If not, why not? Your answer
      may change your life forever.

      God, bless us with the faith of Peter. Help us live
      into our full potential as people called out into the
      world through the Church, sharing our hope in Christ
      through words and deeds. Amen.

      it at http://tinyurl.com/Living-as-Beloved.