Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of July 22, 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 21 7:41 PM
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of July 22, 2012

      Grief

      "Now when Jesus heard this, he withdrew from there
      in a boat to a deserted place by himself. But when
      the crowds heard it, they followed him on foot from
      the towns."
      Matthew 14:13

      Jesus went to a private and solitary place to grieve
      the death of beloved John the Baptist. John had
      baptized Jesus at the beginning of his earthly
      ministry, referred his disciples to Jesus, and
      courageously called people to repentance. John
      clearly understood he was not worthy to untie even
      the thongs on Jesus' sandals. John was a great
      prophet. He was also a friend, cousin, and colleague.
      Jesus would miss him. We see a picture of good grief.
      Jesus withdrew to a private place to grieve before the
      crowds would surround him with their neediness and
      demands on his time.

      Jesus reveals his vulnerability in his mourning and
      offers us a healthy example of self-care. He did not
      pretend everything was fine. He sought some privacy.
      We need moments of privacy and solitude with our deep
      feelings. Sometimes we all need to get away for a
      time and sit with our emotions.

      The crowds, eager to see and hear Jesus, learn of his
      whereabouts and travel on foot from many towns to find
      him. How will Jesus respond to them in his raw grief?

      Help us find private places to pray for a few minutes
      today, God. Amen.