Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of July 15, 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 14, 2012
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of July 15, 2012

      Weeds explained

      "Then Jesus left the crowds and went into the house.
      And his disciples approached him, saying, 'Explain
      to us the parable of the weeds of the field.' He
      answered, 'The one who sows the good seed is the
      Child of Humanity; the field is the world, and the
      good seed are the children of the kingdom; the weeds
      are the children of the evil one, and the enemy who
      sowed them is the devil; the harvest is the end of
      the age, and the reapers are angels. Just as the
      weeds are collected and burned up with fire, so will
      it be at the end of the age. The Child of Humanity
      will send his angels, and they will collect out of
      his kingdom all causes of sin and all evildoers, and
      they will throw them into the furnace of fire, where
      there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. Then
      the righteous will shine like the sun in the kingdom
      of their Parent. Let anyone with ears listen!'"
      Matthew 13:36-43

      The gospel has always comforted the afflicted and
      afflicted the comfortable. The parable is about
      choices and consequences. Some readers will be
      highly offended. Others will be challenged. Few
      of us will be indifferent or neutral. You might
      disagree with my understanding. Consider writing
      your responses to this parable and the explanation
      in your journal as part of your prayer today.

      Jesus is the one sowing the good seed of God in the
      world. The good seeds are the people who follow
      Jesus. The weeds are people from the evil one.
      And that enemy has a name. The devil. In other
      places in the Bible, the devil is called the father
      of lies, an imposter, the tempter, and accuser.

      Someday the world as we know it will come to an end.
      Angels will harvest all the good seed sown in the world.
      The weeds will be pulled up and burned. All that causes
      sin and does evil will be thrown into the fiery furnace
      where weeping and gnashing of teeth will be heard forever.
      Good will triumph eternally over evil in the kingdom of
      our heavenly Parent. Hear the word of Christ. Listen.

      Who does Jesus think he is to say such things? Perhaps
      the more important question is, who do we think he is
      to say such things? Our answers to these questions
      might teach us something about our lives. Where are
      we in the parable? What are we going to do about it?

      God, what do I believe about Jesus? Where am I in
      this parable? Amen.

      using your credit card! htp://www.ChiRhoPress.com