Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of July 8, 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7, 2012
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of July 8, 2012

      Spiritual dullness

      "Then the disciples came and asked Jesus, 'Why do you
      speak to them in parables?' He answered, 'To you it
      has been given to know the secrets of the kingdom of
      heaven, but to them it has not been given. For to
      those who have, more will be given, and they will
      have an abundance; but from those who have nothing,
      even what they have will be taken away. The reason
      I speak to them in parables is that "seeing they do
      not perceive, and hearing they do not listen, nor do
      they understand." With them indeed is fulfilled the
      prophecy of Isaiah that says: "You will indeed listen,
      but never understand, and you will indeed look, but
      never perceive. For this people's heart has grown
      dull, and their ears are hard of hearing, and they
      have shut their eyes; so that they might not look
      with their eyes, and listen with their ears, and
      understand with their heart and turn, and I would
      heal them."'"
      Matthew 13:10-15

      Spiritual dullness has always been among us. If we
      would truly hear with our ears and look with our eyes,
      and understand with our hearts and turn from the errors
      of our ways, God would heal us beyond our wildest dreams.

      Many of us struggle with honest introspection. We
      often hear and see ourselves selectively. As a result,
      our hearts dull to God's full truth and revelation.
      Our ears become spiritually hard of hearing and, yes,
      we become spiritually blind to God.

      I would personally prefer to think of myself as
      spiritually clever and astute. Yet in lingering
      quiet moments of prayer and meditation, silence is
      truly the greatest revelation. Silence can speak
      louder than words and reveal the inner cracks and
      blemishes of a soul grown dull and jaded. My
      spiritual direction colleagues and friends all
      realize we have great gifts of self-deception.
      We need spiritual friends for accountability and
      encouragement. We need those who care enough to
      question if we are becoming dull of heart.

      I have found in my own life that I need to
      intentionally seek out those friends and colleagues,
      individually and in community. Those who love me
      may mention I seem to be working all the time. One
      friend would call and encourage me to take an
      afternoon off, or to take a walk. These are
      refreshing moments. When deep fatigue or chronic
      tiredness pervades, it is helpful for me to take a
      nap, review my eating and exercise habits. A little
      bit of self-care can work wonders, and healthy
      perspective can return. All these simple things
      affect my daily inner life. Spiritual alertness
      and awareness can be improved dramatically.

      Are there identifiable factors that dull you to the
      power of God's healing words from taking root in the
      soil of your hearts? If so, pray from your heart and
      be encouraged. God wishes to bring us into alertness
      and restore our spiritual joy.

      God, help us be alert and open to you. Help us listen
      and give us understanding. Amen.