Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of June 24, 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 24, 2012
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of June 24, 2012

      Doubt, faith, and encouragement

      "Now when Jesus had finished instructing his twelve
      disciples, he went on from there to teach and proclaim
      his message in their cities. When John heard in prison
      what the Messiah was doing, he sent word by his disciples
      and said to him, 'Are you the one who is to come, or are
      we to wait for another?' Jesus answered them, 'Go and
      tell John what you hear and see: the blind receive their
      sight, the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, the deaf
      hear, the dead are raised, and the poor have good news
      brought to them. And blessed is anyone who takes no
      offence at me.'"
      Matthew 11:1-6

      We see today an honest picture of doubt by a real
      spiritual giant. John the Baptist was a great prophet
      and messenger of Jesus Christ. He was a man of great
      faith. Because of his prophetic messages, he was
      imprisoned. We find him languishing in prison. Even
      the strongest can experience doubt through isolation
      and loneliness. John has a very human response to his
      situation. He sends his loyal followers to find Jesus
      and ask a question that demonstrates his vulnerability
      and inner doubt. Is Jesus God's Sent One? Or should
      they wait for someone else?

      Jesus offers a sensitive and encouraging reply to their
      earnest questions. Rather than chastise John's doubt,
      he sends them back with a blessing for the imprisoned
      prophet. John is given freedom to doubt and ask very
      honest questions through his painful ordeal. We have
      much to learn from this story.

      God, give us the honesty of John the Baptist. Bless
      our doubts, increase our faith, and encourage us when
      we are languishing in isolation. Amen.