Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of June 17, 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 17, 2012
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of June 17, 2012

      Be on your guard

      "Beware of them, for they will hand you over to
      councils and flog you in their synagogues; and you
      will be dragged before governors and kings because
      of me, as a testimony to them and the Gentiles.
      When they hand you over, do not worry about how you
      are to speak or what you are to say; for what you
      are to say will be given to you at that time; for
      it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your
      Creator speaking through you."
      Matthew 10:17-20

      Often we forget the Church was built on the blood
      and suffering of martyrs. Being a Christian may be
      hazardous to your health, prosperity, and popularity.
      Some countries continue to actively persecute
      Christians for their faith even today. And all too
      tragically, throughout history zealous Christians
      have been equally guilty, persecuting and oppressing
      others who failed to subscribe to their cherished
      religious beliefs. Many horrific religious wars
      have been committed in the name of God. Believe
      or die. Believe my way or be tortured, imprisoned,
      exiled, or even executed. This was never the
      intention of Jesus as he taught his disciples
      that suffering for his teachings is sometimes a
      part of discipleship.

      The inner circle of disciples had no idea of what
      their future held as they eagerly followed Jesus.
      Most of the twelve disciples eventually experienced
      martyrdom. The beloved disciple, John, was exiled
      to the island of Patmos (a Roman penal colony) for
      his activities as a Christian missionary.

      Hatred, violence, slander, and injustice can even
      be experienced within the church. Ireland has been
      racked with violence between Catholics and Protestants
      for years. Gay and lesbian Christians are often
      excluded or excommunicated from churches in many
      countries. "Ethnic cleansing" in the name of
      religious holy wars continues around the world.

      Whatever our situation, if we find ourselves accused
      and standing before the courts, beaten and bruised
      for our faith in Christ, the Spirit of God will speak
      through us. We will not be left alone. We will be
      given the words to speak through the power of God.
      So be very brave. Be comforted. We will not be
      abandoned in our hour of need.

      God, bless your martyred people. Help us to pray for
      them and to be brave in our faith. Amen.