Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of June 10, 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 10, 2012
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of June 10, 2012

      Desperation and hope

      "While Jesus was saying these things to them, suddenly
      a leader of the synagogue came in and knelt before him,
      saying, 'My daughter has just died; but come and lay
      your hand on her, and she will live.' And Jesus got up
      and followed him, with his disciples. Then suddenly a
      woman who had been suffering from haemorrhages for
      twelve years came up behind him and touched the fringe
      of his cloak, for she said to herself, 'If I only touch
      his cloak, I will be made well.'"
      Matthew 9:18-21

      Who has not felt desperate or struggled with despair at
      some time in life? There are moments when all hope is
      lost and God seems silent. How can we find comfort and
      strength through this story?

      There are some things worse than our own deaths. I
      remember my beloved grandmother often said the greatest
      fear of any parent was outliving their children. She
      knew from heartbreaking experience the bitter grief and
      desperation of seeing her children die as adults through
      incurable diseases marked by great suffering. Some
      sufferers believe another fate worse than death can be
      living with debilitating, progressive, and painful
      chronic diseases without hope for a cure. They feel
      as if they are dying by inches.

      Today's Gospel offers a timeless snapshot of desperation
      and hope. The first was a desperate parent whose little
      girl had unexpectedly died. The second was a chronically
      ill woman who had suffered for many years without a cure.
      Desperate people do desperate things in times of need.
      Both had run out of options and in desperation reached
      out to Jesus, hopeful for a miracle.

      Although the bereaved father and chronically ill woman
      came from different walks of life, Jesus gave each his
      full attention and compassion. The frantic father had
      interrupted Jesus in the midst of his teachings, and
      Jesus listened carefully to his pleas. He graciously
      agreed to immediately accompany the father to his home
      where the little girl lay dead. When the desperate
      woman pushed her way through the crowd to touch the
      hem of his cloak, Jesus stopped again. He refused to
      go any further until he met the person who had touched
      him. This story has a happy ending. The woman
      experienced healing and the little girl was raised
      from the dead.

      Whatever our life situation might be, Christ walks with
      us. When we cry out for help in times of need, he stops
      and compassionately listens to our pleas. As we reach
      out to touch the hem of his cloak, his healing power
      continues to flow. So "turn your eyes on Jesus. Look
      full in His wonderful face, and things of earth will
      grow strangely dim, in the light of His glory and grace"
      (from the hymn, "Fix your eyes upon Jesus," words and
      music by Helen H. Lemmel, 1922, first published in
      "Glad Song," by the British National Sunday School Union. http://cyberhymnal.org/htm/t/u/turnyour.htm.) and you
      will be moved from desperation to hope.

      Oh God, thank you for understanding our experiences of
      human desperation. Help us find hope through Jesus
      Christ in our times of need. Amen.