Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of June 3, 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2012
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of June 3, 2012

      Many are healed

      "When Jesus entered Peter's house, he saw his mother-
      in-law lying in bed with a fever; he touched her hand,
      and the fever left her, and she got up and began to
      serve him. That evening they brought to him many who
      were possessed by demons; and he cast out the spirits
      with a word, and cured all who were sick. This was to
      fulfill what had been spoken through the prophet Isaiah,
      'He took our infirmities and bore our diseases.'"
      Matthew 8:14-17

      Before becoming an ordained minister, I worked for
      sixteen years as a registered nurse in many emergency
      rooms and outpatient clinics full of waiting, sick
      people and their families. Often children would be
      crying. Some times some were unable to get a bathroom
      in time and were sitting in soiled clothing. Others
      struggled with schizophrenia and other psychiatric
      disorders. Feverish people would often be wet with
      perspiration and their skin would feel hot to the touch.
      Often they were exhausted and dehydrated by their raging
      fevers. I remember the smells and sights of sick, lame,
      abandoned, hopeless, and discouraged people. Many could
      only hope for a moment of relief. Cures were humanly
      impossible for those in advanced stages of terminal
      illness.

      I bring all these memories with me as I read these four
      verses and marvel at the images in my mind. Jesus
      understands illness. He took up our infirmities and
      carried our diseases. He is amazing. He understands
      our human sufferings.

      Perhaps our response to him should be similar to Peter's
      mother-in-law. In her gratitude, she began to humbly
      serve Jesus in the only way she knew how. She began to
      linger in his presence while delighting in his voice,
      touch, and companionship. She is a timeless model of
      servant leadership for us today.

      God, help us serve Jesus Christ with gratitude like that
      expressed by Peter's mother-in-law. Amen.