Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of April 29, 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 28 4:58 PM
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of April 29, 2012

      Murder, anger, insults, contempt

      "But I say to you that if you are angry with a brother
      or sister, you will be liable to judgement; and if you
      insult a brother or sister, you will be liable to the
      council; and if you say, 'You fool', you will be liable
      to the hell of fire. So when you are offering your gift
      at the altar, if you remember that your brother or sister
      has something against you, leave your gift there before
      the altar and go; first be reconciled to your brother or
      sister, and then come and offer your gift."
      Matthew 5:22-24

      What does Jesus have to teach us about murder, anger,
      insults, contempt, accusations, and legal action? Quite
      a bit, if you are interested. In just a few sentences
      (verses 21-26), we are given a summary of his teaching
      on reconciliation with our figurative and literal
      brothers and sisters. He gives us some fresh insight
      about anger.

      Anger is as dangerous as murder. It is spiritually
      impossible to offer gifts to God with anger and
      bitterness in our hearts. The best gift we can give
      God is our peaceful reconciliation with each other.
      This is easier said than done, but well worth the
      effort and persistence. It may take years. We may
      be refused or ignored, mocked or slandered, but
      reconciliation is necessary for our spiritual
      wholeness. We need to make genuine efforts, even
      perhaps swallowing our pride. We may even need
      counseling, therapy, a spiritual director, or to
      talk with a trusted friend or pastor for help.
      Nothing is easy about reconciling deep hurts.

      After my mother died, my brother did not speak to me
      for more than twelve years. Years later, during a
      family crisis, we spoke on the telephone and are now
      reconciled. We both regret many misperceptions we
      carried in our hearts over the past. We will never
      be able to get those years back and relive them.
      Our relationship deeply affected my spiritual life.
      It still does. He is my brother.

      If we are to know peace, we need to seek reconciliation
      with those we have hurt, or who have hurt us. If we
      are to live and die in peace, we need to do the same.
      We need reconciliation for our spiritual healing.
      Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be the
      children of God (Matthew 5:9).

      God, help us be reconciled with our brothers and
      sisters in the world. Bless our peacemaking, we
      pray. Amen.