Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of October 7, 2001

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 8, 2001
      is a meditation from 'The Road to Emmaus,' a book of
      of faith. This meditation was written by Andy T. Sidden.

      Please feel free to forward this to your friends.

      Matthew 8:18-27

      Floridians are fascinated - possibly terrified, perhaps
      even petrified - but definitely fascinated by hurricanes.
      As a newcomer to the state a few years ago, I was amazed
      at the amount of effort that goes into preparation for
      storms that seldom come.

      Beginning shortly after Easter and continuing well into
      fall, strategies for surviving the big wind are broadcast,
      published, and televised repeatedly for eager audiences.
      Phone books include tracking maps so that residents need
      not be surprised if the storm does come.

      When hurricane Elena parked off the Tampa coast a few
      years ago, the world, or at least our part of it,
      stopped for three days.

      At the risk of sounding jaded, I must confess that I
      couldn't understand what all the fuss was about. I don't
      mean to belittle the mighty force of hurricanes - the wind
      did blow and the rain did fall. But I'd seen worse, much
      worse, a year earlier when a string of deadly spring
      tornadoes ripped through my native North Carolina. And
      those folks had no warning. I'll take my chances in a
      hurricane over a tornado any day.

      Unfortunately, we don't often have a choice. Like the
      people in Florida and in North Carolina, we must take
      whatever storms come our way. And sometimes our lives
      are filled with quick and nasty tornadoes that sneak up
      without warning.

      Like the 'great storm' that frightened the disciples, the
      storms that we meet with most often come suddenly. We may
      not have the benefit of tracking maps or televised warnings,
      but we can still plan our survival strategy.

      During those rough times, it's reassuring to know that we've
      already invited Jesus Christ aboard our 'boat.' Christ can
      control not only the sea and the wind, but everything else,
      too.

      Grace and peace,

      R. Adam DeBaugh and Kevin Stone Fries

      Visit the Chi Rho Press Website. You can order using our
      convenient shopping cart and pay on line using your credit
      card! http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      Purchase �The Road to Emmaus� from Chi Rho Press for $9.95
      order for $12.45 to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,