Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of April 1, 2

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2012
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of April 1, 2012

      Reading a Gospel for the first time

      "Since many have undertaken to set down an orderly
      account of the events that have been fulfilled among
      us, just as they were handed on to us by those who
      from the beginning were eyewitnesses and servants
      of the word, I too decided, after investigating
      everything carefully from the very first, to write
      an orderly account for you, most excellent Theophilus."
      Luke 1:1-3

      One of the questions most frequently asked of me is,
      "Just what is a Gospel?" Millions of people throughout
      world history have asked that important question.
      Gospels are the Jesus stories that have brought hope
      to people throughout the centuries. Each Gospel
      lesson teaches spiritual empowerment. One does not
      have to be a Christian to read them or live by these
      life-nourishing principles.

      The Gospel writers are Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.
      None attended formal seminary, yet each individual
      writer brings his unique perspective and understanding
      of the amazing spiritual leader named Jesus Christ.
      Quite frankly, Jesus turned their earthly world
      upside down and they had to share these adventures
      with God. So they wrote about his birth, life,
      ministry, death, and amazing return from the dead.
      These stories have transformed lives in every culture,
      language, and country over the past two millennia.
      People have joyously gone to their deaths as martyrs
      of the Jesus faith rather than betray or deny this
      amazing teacher, healer, preacher, friend, beloved
      companion, and prophet.

      All the Gospels are good reading. Matthew writes
      from an orthodox Jewish perspective and includes
      many of the major teachings of Jesus. Mark's Gospel
      is shorter and written for people without a Jewish
      background. Luke is a non-Jewish physician who
      carefully researched the Jesus stories for a two-part
      series. The Gospel of Luke is written to describe
      Jesus as the Great Physician while the book of Acts,
      also attributed to Luke, is an adventure account of
      the early church. John's Gospel is written from the
      heart about beloved Jesus.

      The Greek meaning of the word gospel means "good news."
      Gospels are written accounts by four writers who
      shared what they knew about Jesus' teaching, about
      the Jesus way of life. The Gospels are a carefully
      gathered selection of stories and teachings by people,
      called disciples, who followed Jesus. Disciples are
      spiritual apprentices who study the teachings and life
      of their spiritual leader. They share these teachings
      and lifestyles with others. Christian discipleship
      begins with two simple words uttered by Jesus, "Follow
      me."

      God, help us be spiritual apprentices as we begin our
      reading adventure with you! Begin a spiritual revolution
      in our lives today. Show us what it means to follow
      Jesus. Amen.